Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 19 years ago today Windsor Castle caught fire ...

1. Default 19 years ago today Windsor Castle caught fire ...

but Jackie and I were completely unaware as she was busy giving birth to Katie, Dave and Paul ...

I usually avoid making emotional and trashy posts but it's a weird day for us - for the first time since they were born Katie, Dave and Paul are spending their birthday apart from each other and us. Hopefully they're not feeling as emotional about it as we are !

We don't usually make a fuss about them but we're immensely proud and grateful that we have somehow ended up with not one but three caring, intelligent and hard working children that also know how to have fun without upsetting other people.

Life is too important to take seriously !

I remember that Friday/weekend well. I was applying for a job in Windsor and as I only lived about half an hour away, I had decided to drive over and drop the application form/CV through their door on the Saturday afternoon.

Even though I had seen the pictures on the news, I was suprised to see the castle was still glowing as I drove down the dual carriageway from the M4 junction.

I was successful in getting the job and even though I worked in Windsor for a few years, I never got around to visiting the castle. Also, the Safari park had already closed and Legoland hadn't opened by the time we moved away ... so never got to visit them either!

Congratulations on your triplets ...... and Happy Birthday to them all. I expect it is going to feel strange for them as well today.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

I was on duty in the Thames Valley Police HQ Control Room - We had to send operators over to Slough Control Room to help cope. At first there were a lot of turf fights as Thames Valley police the outside and the Met and "other" services control the inside. Luckily the Fire Brigade don't as it might still be burning !! Quickly sorted though and we had to provide lots of extra police to control the "rubber neckers"and potential souvenier hunters
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Happy Birthday to Katie, Dave and Paul - I bet they've grown a bit since I last saw them Bob.

Afraid I don't have any specific memories of that day although I do remember the fire.
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -

5. Default

Just a tad Caz !

Fortunately they're all shorter than me and nowhere near as nasty so they don't try it on that often

Life is too important to take seriously !

:lol:

My lad is 18 now and a lot taller than me (handy if I go for caches in trees), but his older sister is only same height as me (although she insists she is taller).
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -