Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What to do when a cache loses its home?

Default What to do when a cache loses its home?

I couldn't find a cache today and the hint made no sense. To cut a long story short, 3 men had just taken the cabinet the cache was attached to away.

I was able to speak to the men and retrieve the cache. So I had a cache with no home and certainly no nearby similar places to put the cache. I therefore decided as the cache was part of a series to put it nearby the next cache and have contacted the owner, giving details of where I placed the homeless cache.

Question I have is what should I have done?

I think you have done the correct thing and I hope the cache owner is grateful for you rescuing the cache.

I would keep an eye on the cache page and if the owner doesn't disable or find a new location and update the cache page very soon, I would write a note to explain that the cache has moved .... so that others don't waste their time looking for it (if you haven't already)
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

I've adjusted my "needs maintenance" log to make it more obvious to potential cachers. On reflection I probably should have placed the cache a little further from the cache I put it near. Ah well you live and learn.

Thanks for the response.

I got an e-mail not long ago from a cacher who had found one of my caches lying on a canal towpath. He re-hid it close by and let me know. It was a multi and he didn't have time to do it to find out where it should be.

So I went and retrieved it and re-hid where it was meant to be.

I think you did the best thing under the circumstances.
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -