Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: describe your ideal cache

Default describe your ideal cache

what makes a cache worthy of a favourite point? do you like micros? puzzle? multi caches? trails

for me its gotta be a field puzzle, something i can get my hands on and work out how to get into. with a nice big container that you could fit a football in. still not found one that suits both yet

I award favourtites for various reasons. If it takes me somewhere with some history and the cache page has a decent description with it, then it often gets a favourite. I have given some faves to nano's as well if they have been well placed. Others may be for the challenge in getting to it, whether that be a puzzle or the terrain, others simply because I have enjoyed the experience for whatever reason.

Agree with Jacaru, there is no definitive favourite for me.

I award favourite points to caches that are memorable for good reasons - i.e. the ones where one of my dogs nearly got killed by a cow and where I ended up thigh deep in a bog didn't get a favourite point, despite being unforgettable.

I enjoy hides/caches that are a bit different so my first find of a bolt on a crash barrier got a point - but I wouldn't award one to the same again. Ditto the stuffed bird sat in a tree - brill the first time but the novelty wears off.

I suppose the ones I enjoy doing the most are historical multis in towns - so they usually get a favourite even if the final hide is rubbish.

I don't like struggling uphills much, or searching in ivy, or being parted from my car for too long! So trails don't often get a point unless a particular cache stands out for some reason. On the other hand, if I enjoyed the walk then they might. I prefer walking in woods to across fields and like ones where the dog can run free, with no stiles.

Night caches are usually fun so may get one. Same with puzzles.

The great thing about caching is that the cache placers differ as much in their likes as do the finders - so whatever our preferences there is something out there for all of us.
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -

4. Default

I love micros at the base of ivy covered trees ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Cunning hides, circular walks across the top of chalk downlands (well-drained), beautiful views and places of interest

Most of all we like the slightly out of the way places that make the locals say "I've always meant to come here".

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

All the caches I find ! No matter the size or location - The buzz of hunting for, and finding something that someone else has hidden, following the arrow, reading the clues and logs is all part of the experience - So All caches are my favourites !
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Findable, and in good condition!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

New, different, unseen, unique location, beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by munkiboi182 View Post
    what makes a cache worthy of a favourite point? do you like micros? puzzle? multi caches? trails
    I have 2 levels of "favourite" - the Groundspeak favourite system for the top 10%, and my own favourite system for the top 2%. This is what I like:

The location - a great walk, lovely view, unusual or challenging terrain, interesting or historical place.
    An informative cache page.
    The hide - ingenuity, originality, humour.
    The container - good size and quality, well maintained, clean and dry, with an original and interesting collection of swaps.
    The WOW factor - a surprise, a thrill, something that takes my breath away, makes me struggle, makes me laugh.

You can see my top 2% at http://www.amberel.com/topcache.htm

Rgds, Andy

I love caches that are on the top of hills or in wild places that involve long walks. I have a love/hate relationship with puzzle caches and enjoy multi-caches.
    When thinking about this I was drawn to the dark side of caching or the caches I don't like. Telephone boxes, Roadside caches, Frustrating easy caches that I can't find.

thanks for the responses. ive taken them into consideration whilst planning a new trail

My favourite caches usually have a combination of perhaps two or more of the following:

• Are part of a series where they aren't all more than .2 of a mile apart
    • Have a well thought out cache page, with useful information, no text-speak, actual sentences, not too many spelling mistakes and no SHOUTY CAPITALS
    • Take me somewhere pretty or interesting (preferably litter-free)
    • Are actually at the location specified, and are clean & dry inside and well-maintained
    • Have a hint which doesn't tell me something I already know *i.e. near a river - when the coords take me to a river's edge
    • Have a hint which doesn't refer to dozens of clue items at the scene i.e. NOT "tree" or "moss covered stump", when you are surrounded by hundreds and getting rubbish GPS accuracy.
    • Make me laugh when I find it
    • Show me the CO has gone to a lot of trouble
    • Give me a feeling of fun or excitement such as looking through several piles of dummy stickoflage added by previous finders, or having to dress up in a costume
    • Have a higher than 1.5 rating for both difficulty and terrain (or if they have a 1.5 or less for either, make up for it with a higher rating on the other)