Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Caught in a hail storm.

Topomornin Guest

Default Caught in a hail storm.

We had taken the fanily out on Fathers day with our 4 year old and newborn. We were out in the middle of the bush. When we got stuck in a hail storm. We had to hide under a tree for about 10 minutes for it to pass.
    Good Times!

Had a similar experience last year, shortly before we started caching.
    We were walking the dog along a secluded beach on the Sussex / Hampshire border, when it started to rain heavily. The clouds got thicker and blacker, and soon we started to see lightning across the water.
    My wife was scared, so I told her about counting between the flash and the bang, so you can work out roughly how far away it is.
    Suddenly, both happened at the same time, and the lightning struck the beach quite close. I know lightning goes for the tallest object, and I am 6'2", and there was nothing taller than me anywhere nearby! I also had a large camera around my neck.
    We ran like mad, and soon arrived back at the car, soaked, but wouldn't want to repeat that experience again in a hurry!

Hail dont talk to me about hail was stuck in a a good 10 minute hail storm the other week while heading towards Unknown Territory 13 in Church Broughton, know what you mean about nothing to hide behind.

We were visiting family in West Sussex and went on to the South Downs to check on our cache YEW on May 15th. While on our walk we had mist, rain, hailstones the size of peas and the sun shone so much we were down to t-shirts in short order!! It was an amazing walk. Once at the top we had stunning views all the way to the coast. It was also so windy we had to shelter in the lee of the tumuli to enjoy our picnic. A great day!! Jane