Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: GAGB election of committee

paul.blitz Guest

Nominations are requested for 5 committee members

If you wish to stand, please either post a message in this thread, send an email to "committee@gagb.org.uk" or contact any of the committee.

If you think that you'd like to suggest that someone else should stand, please also post a message, and they can either respond, or someone on the committee will contact them to see if they are interested in standing.

Nominations close at 9pm on Saturday 13th November

The election will be held from 9pm on Saturday 20th Nov to 9pm on Saturday 27th Nov. Details of voting etc will be posted nearer the time.

Paul Blitz
    GAGB Chairman
    on behalf of GAGB Committee

paul.blitz Guest

I guess I need to add my own name to the list of nominations, just in case some nice kind person wants to take over as GAGB chairman!!!! (I will obviously withdraw if I should become Chairman again)

I will also take this opportunity to propose all the current committe members:

Sarah Tate (of Team Tate)
    Bill Daley (Bill D)
    Ian Harris (Teasel)
    Dave Edwards (of The Wombles)
    Martyn Lycett (MCL)

Perhaps you would all care to formally confirm your willingness to stand for election?

paul blitz

I'm willing to stand.

I propose Paul Blitz, should he not become Chairman.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Sarah Tate Guest

I am willing to stand again.

Sarah x

I'm willing to stand for election.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

MCL Guest

I will happily stand again.

The Hokesters Guest

It sounds like the committee are happy to stay on and they obviously have the experience to do so.

If I can help in anyway I am more than willing.

I sit on two committees currently one running a very successful non-professional theatre company and a second as a pressure group for obtaining and running a theatre for the local community.

I am also currator of several websites and run my own web dev company.

I am also the East Midlands Co-ordinator for the on-line GeoCaching magazine www.geocachingtoday.com.

I am an avid if somewhat frustrated cacher who unfortunately spends too much time at the desk and not enough in the woods.

If I can do anything to help - please ask.

Simon

MCL Guest

In the light of his generous offer of help, I would like to propose Simon of the Hokesters to stand as well.

Might as well have some fun in these elections eh!

The Hokesters Guest

I really wouldn't want to stand against a current member of the committee. This is purely an off of assistance if required.

Simon

Teasel Guest

I second Simon!

I do not feel that I have managed to devote as much time to GAGB as I should have, over the past year. With luck, my health should continue to improve, but with Mark's death, I expect that any extra time this brings will be spent keeping GeocacheUK running.

I therefore don't think it would be right for me to stand for re-election, unless there was no one else who wanted the place. I would, however, like to continue to develop a couple of bits of the GAGB website, in particular the Landowner Agreements Database, which needs a lot more work. I would therefore like to ask the new committee to consider co-opting me, in a non-executive capacity, so that I can continue to have access to the GAGB webserver.

Originally posted by Teasel@Oct 31 2004, 08:05 PM
    I would, however, like to continue to develop a couple of bits of the GAGB website, in particular the Landowner Agreements Database, which needs a lot more work. I would therefore like to ask the new committee to consider co-opting me, in a non-executive capacity, so that I can continue to have access to the GAGB webserver.
    As founders of the GAGB both June and I would object most strongly to Teasel being allowed to continue to have access to the server if he is not a member of the committee.

Let me quote one of his own posts from an earlier thread HERE :
    - The website innards should be inaccessible to anyone not on the committee.
    Need I remind anybody that although June and I were hounded out of the GAGB by the few (with the assistance and urging of some "silent" persons), we had every reason to want the GAGB to succeed. Having put much time, money and effort into it and we offered to continue FREE hosting to the site and it's forums. This was on a high quality server with just 23 websites hosted on it located in London Telehouse instead of the 1468 websites on the current server located in California which was Teasel's choice.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

paul.blitz Guest

As founders of the GAGB both June and I would object most strongly to Teasel being allowed to continue to have access to the server if he is not a member of the committee.
    But of course, if the GAGB committee COOPTS someone to the committee, then that person becomes a member of the committee. As such, they have the same responsibilities as any other committee member, if the committee desires that. Alternatively, the committee could coopt someone, but with certain "restrictions". It would be up to the committee to decide how that should all happen.

(The whole concept of a committee being able to coopt people to the committee is to allow it to bring in extra expertise where needed.)

Let me quote one of his own posts from an earlier thread HERE :
    - The website innards should be inaccessible to anyone not on the committee.
    so, that is a non-issue, as anyone coopted to the committee is "on the committee".

......we offered to continue FREE hosting to the site and it&#39;s forums. This was on a high quality server with just 23 websites hosted on it located in London Telehouse instead of the 1468 websites on the current server located in California which was Teasel&#39;s choice.
    Ian may have made a suggestion of where we could host the website, but it was the COMMITTEE who took the actual decision to relocate the site, and WHERE to relocate it to.

And, being realistic, have there been any MAJOR issues with the hosting of this website on the current servers? I don&#39;t believe there have been any more problems with THIS server than there have been with YOUR servers.

So again, another non-issue.

So, please, why is there a need to make such a mountain out of a molehill?

Paul Blitz

So it&#39;s okay for somebody without a vested interest but not for us.

Fair enough, sounds personal to me &#33;

Bye then
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

MCL Guest

what sounds personal? I have my dunce hat on tonight...

I agree with Tim, Paul and Ian, that it is not acceptable for a non-committee member to have access to the servers, mainly due to the non-accountability that such access would produce.

So I support the idea of making co-opted committee members of any experts we call in to handle such stuff. That solves the accountability problem.

I don&#39;t mind whether that is Teasel, Tim & June, or Tony Blair. Personalities have nothing to do with it.

It&#39;s about what gets done for the GAGB and nothing more. I am so grateful to all those helpful people who have given time and effort into making the association what it is today. Its a lot of work, by a lot of people and it all deserves to be recognised.

Originally posted by MCL@Nov 2 2004, 10:02 PM
    I would have thought it obvious that a FOUNDER would have more right to be co-opted than anyone, therefore if it wasn&#39;t good enough for us...

June

Originally posted by Tim and June+Nov 3 2004, 11:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tim and June @ Nov 3 2004, 11:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MCL@Nov 2 2004, 10:02 PM
    I would have thought it obvious that a FOUNDER would have more right to be co-opted than anyone, therefore if it wasn&#39;t good enough for us...

June [/b][/quote]
    Without getting personal&#33; I thought that "all" members were equal&#33; And that the aim of the Association was solely the promotion of Geocaching, and not the politics of Geocaching, as happened in the past&#33;

Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

paul.blitz Guest

OK, a quick summary:

Bill Daley (Bill D)
    Martyn Lycett (MCL)
    Paul Blitz (Team Blitz)

...have all confirmed that they are willing to stand for the committee

Ian Harris (Teasel) has indicated that he would like to NOT stand for the committee

Simon (Hokesters) has shown an interest, although perhaps not at the expense of someone else.

Remember, nominations close on Sat 13th Nov (that&#39;s a week on Saturday).

Anyone else interested in helping out the GAGB?

Paul

Teasel Guest

Eh? You were on the committee (as chair&#33 - when/why did you ever seek a place as a co-opted committee member?

we offered to continue FREE hosting to the site and it&#39;s forums. This was on a high quality server with just 23 websites hosted on it located in London Telehouse instead of the 1468 websites on the current server located in California which was Teasel&#39;s choice.
    The current hosting is also provided free of charge. It also has the distinct advantage that the committee are allowed access to it. If you recall, at the time this webhosting was obtained by the committee, you were refusing to allow anyone on that committee any access to the existing website (to the extent that you would not even give us admin rights to the forum, or access to the membership list, or rights to use the existing material, etc.).

After the last elections, I found myself engaging the services of a copyright lawyer, while others tried to persuade you to change your position, while others worked on a new logo and material in case you wouldn&#39;t. Let&#39;s hope the new committee can continue their work to promote geocaching, without such timewasting politics getting in the way.

Fair comment about Lunarpages being the wrong side of the pond (though personally I&#39;ve not noticed any particular slowness). However it does have the advantage that it can run applications like the agreements database. When I drove down to Hampshire to meet you and discuss the website, you indicated that you didn&#39;t want to run bespoke GAGB applications, to protect your servers and ensure they remained fast.

MCL Guest

Originally posted by Tim and June+Nov 3 2004, 12:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tim and June @ Nov 3 2004, 12:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MCL@Nov 2 2004, 10:02 PM

June [/b][/quote]
    Ah now I see what you mean.

...and this time I genuinely disagree. I don&#39;t find it obvious at all, and believe *all* members have an equal right to be co-opted, that is to say no class of member has more or fewer rights than any other. If they did, it would be in the constitution.

In fact this issue is behind another of my current hobby horses, that of age eligibility for committee. In the same way that I don&#39;t believe you or anyone else has a greater right to co-option, I also believe that over 18s have no greater right to be committee members than under-18s. The fact that the Constitution says so annoys me, since I believe that every member should have equal standing within the organisation.

But it&#39;s just my private opinion and is not aimed at any specific person or people. I wish it were the opinion of more people within the organisation, but I regret to say it isn&#39;t.

Erik van Dyck, a GC.com cache reviewer in the US, has kindly agreed to act as Returning Officer in the elections. Erik, who caches as erik88L-R, agreed to take on the same responsibility earlier this year, but on that occasion it happened that no election proved necessary.

Many thanks, Erik, for agreeing to supervise our elections again&#33;

---
    Bill, on behalf of the committee

Returning Officer Guest

Many thanks, Erik, for agreeing to supervise our elections again&#33;
    So far I haven&#39;t had to do much to justify my exorbitant fees.

~erik~

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Returning Officer@Nov 7 2004, 11:52 PM
    So far I haven&#39;t had to do much to justify my exorbitant fees.

~erik~
    Looks like you&#39;ll probably be doing nothing AGAIN&#33;&#33;&#33;

paul

paul.blitz Guest

It is now past the closing date for nominations to the committee.

The following members offered their services:

Bill Daley (Bill D)
    Martyn Lycett (MCL)

I therefore fomally confirm that they are all re-elected to the GAGB committee.

By the time you add in myself as chairman, that gives a committee of 5, which is all ok by the constitution.

We (the committee) will shortly be holding a formal meeting, where we intend to coopt Ian Harris (Teasel) to the committee, specifically to act as the GAGB webmaster (although I hasten to add that he is NOT the only committee member with access to the website, nor the only one with the ability to do things to the website&#33. (Ian has recently done some excellent work in creating the "GAGB Areements Database", and we wish him to continue his work)

We thank you all for your continued support. Oh, and a big thanks again to Erik, who has managed yet again to not have to do anything as Returning Officer&#33;&#33;&#33;

Paul Blitz
    GAGB Chairman

Thank you, Paul, it&#39;s nice to be back&#33;

And I&#39;d like to echo Paul&#39;s thanks to Erik for again agreeing to act as Returning Officer, though of course we still didn&#39;t manage to find anything for him to do.

Bill Daly (without an e :P )

Delighted to see the "election" result and that you intend to coopt Teasel - but will the Committee not also consider coopting Simon in view of his offer?
    Enjoy your caching!

jstead wrote:
    but will the Committee not also consider coopting Simon in view of his offer?
    Simon&#39;s offer hasn&#39;t been forgotten.

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by jstead@Nov 14 2004, 10:47 PM
    Delighted to see the "election" result and that you intend to coopt Teasel - but will the Committee not also consider coopting Simon in view of his offer?
    Indeed, Simon has NOT been forgotten... we (Simon and I) are hoping to chat sometime "real soon now", so I can explain what he&#39;d be letting himself in for&#33;

But so far we&#39;ve not managed to chat yet - we&#39;re both obviously far too busy at work&#33;

Obviously we&#39;ll let you all know if & when something happens.

Paul B

Fine - many thanks for explaining. Best wishes to the "new" committee.
    Enjoy your caching!