Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: eTrex 20 - help needed!

mistert Guest

Default eTrex 20 - help needed!

Just bought an eTrex 20 and getting used to it slowly - far better than my 'Legend' I have to say!

I have found out how to add a note after a find (or DNF) BUT - I cannot seem to work out how to retrieve the note later. Today I made notes on a couple of logs that were full - but when I got home couldn't work out how to read them. Fortunately I had remembered which caches had the full logs - but obviously the point of making notes is so that I don't have to rely on my memory too much!! There is nothing in the downloadable Owner Manual that I can see - yes tells you how to make a note (or comment as it is referred to in the manual) - but not how to retrieve it.

Any thoughts / guidance much appreciated!

Alan

They are only accessible when your device is attached to your workstation (assuming it supports the Garmin 20 as it is not listed in the current devices for Geocaching.com)

Use the 'Access your field notes' menu from down the right hand side on your 'Quick View menu. Then follow the instructions on the page:

https://www.geocaching.com/my/uploadfieldnotes.aspx

If it won't upload them, you should still be able to view the geocache_visits.txt when it is connected via USB.

I'm not sure if it is a premium member function though
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

mistert Guest

Thanks Maple Leaf. Sorted!!

(must admit I was assuming there was a way of viewing them on the unit itself - shows how wrong you can be!)

Cheers :cheers:

Alan

I currently have a Legend - in what ways are the 20 better? I wouldn't bother with the field notes bit but does it have any other advantages?
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -

Paperless caching is the main advantage

If that's it then I'll stick to the Legend, the Nuvi does the paperless caching bit for me - with the advantage that I won't get lost if I drop one of them in a river 'cos the other will be in my bag too.
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -