Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: camping events

nobbynobbs Guest

Default camping events

There is a general feeling, within the event organising community, that the "rule" saying that it is not possible to insist on camping to claim the smiley for a camping event is a localised rule that bears no standing in the worldwide geocaching community.

There is a well argued debate going on on the gc forums.
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=289239

As the role of the GAGB is to stand up for the UK cachers in their discussions with GC and the reviewers I thought it only right and fair to raise this matter on here so that you were aware of it and have the ability and opportunity to decide what your measured response will be

I am happy to raise the issue with both the reviewers and groundspeak.

I would however like to let this thread run for a few days to get a feel for its support.

So please speak up all.

I didn't get involved in any of the previous discussions on the frog site, but I do agree that it should be alowable to create a camping event which requires an attendee to camp.

I don't buy the argument that this excludes some people because, as had been said before, various other events & caches already exclude certain people for various reasons.

As Groundspeak have demonstrated that compulsory camping events _can_ be published, then the GAGB should approach the UK reviewers to request that they also allow such events in the UK.

So thumbs up from me :socool:

I have already contributed to the thread mentioned

Been on GS about this too - Agree that people should be able to organise pure "camping" events so that one should camp rather than just visit . For all the reasons stated on the other thread !
    Si vis pacem para bellum

My comments have been made over on GS but I am all in favour of having the ability to specify that attendees must camp/caravan overnight to claim a smiley.

If it's a camping event, you should have to camp to claim the smiley.

8. Default

It seems perfectly reasonable to require people to camp to get the smiley !

If they're concerned about it excluding people will they set a maximum height of 4' for all caches so that I can reach them ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

I agree Bob.

A camping event is a camping event so you should camp!

A pub event is an event in a pub - so you have to go in the pub.

A museum event is an event in a museum - so you have to go in the museum.

An event up a mountain is an event up a mountain, so you have to go up the mountain.

What's the difference?
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -

I've usually put on a side event over a camping weekend for people who don't want to, or can't camp. They visit the camp, attend the meet and greet and get a smiley. It's up to to the campers whether they log the side event or not. That way at least none campers have felt part of the weekend and can still log it.

are there any camping events coming up soon? (preferably in the east) or do they just tend to be in the summer. im a four season camper and love warming my cockles on a blazing fire whilst watching sunrise on a frosty morning. perhaps someone could organise one. i would but i find it hard to organise my sock draw.

Quote Originally Posted by border caz View Post
    I agree Bob.

A camping event is a camping event so you should camp!

A pub event is an event in a pub - so you have to go in the pub.

A museum event is an event in a museum - so you have to go in the museum.

An event up a mountain is an event up a mountain, so you have to go up the mountain.

What's the difference?
    The difference is that three of your examples require going somewhere (and would be in agreement with the guidelines) whilst one requires doing something (and would not be in line with the guidelines).

Guess which one is the odd one out...

Surely getting to the event at the top of a mountain would involve you doing something 'Climbing a mountain' springs to mind and not everybody can or wants do that same as not everybody can or wants to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    Surely getting to the event at the top of a mountain would involve you doing something 'Climbing a mountain' springs to mind and not everybody can or wants do that same as not everybody can or wants to camp.
    Getting anywhere entails doing something but that is irrelevant.

The point is that the analogy was flawed as like was not being compared with like.

If the analogy had been comparing like with like then either the first example would have said "an event in a field where some people happen to be camping" (allowed) or else the second one would have been "an event in a pub where you must drink 'x' number of pints" (sadly not allowed).

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusite View Post
    The difference is that three of your examples require going somewhere (and would be in agreement with the guidelines) whilst one requires doing something (and would not be in line with the guidelines).

Guess which one is the odd one out...
    So all camping events are in my back garden so I don't have to go anywhere?

And I don't have to do anything to get myself up a mountain or into a pub?

Now I am even more confused!
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -