I'm thinking about placing a cache of my own down. But I'm having problems identifying and locating the landowner who would be affected.

Since the area that I am considering is a public right of way, I did contact the public rights of way department at my local council - but got the advice to try the land registry.

However, using the electronic "find a property" service (costs about £4 per search) it doesn't seem to be able to find anything for the location I'm looking at. There is a title search available which doesn't require a postcode, but that's out of my budget at £37!

Are there any other ways of identifying an owner when it isn't signposted? Specifically the footpath I'm looking at is a narrow tract of woodland running between two commercial business parks. Therefore I assume the land could belong to the developers/tenants on either side.

One other footpath I'm looking at is running through a village green. I would assume that the council might own that now. But I could be wrong of course.

I'd appreciate any helpful advice pointing me in the right direction