Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Bournemouth caching ban

Default Bournemouth caching ban

I have been told on Facebook that the GAGB is not interested in challenging Bournemouth Council over their ban of geocaching is this correct ?

http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/LeisureCultureLibraries/Parks/OutdoorSportsFacilities/Geocaching.aspx

Who has actually told you this?

As I have already said I will be speaking to them as part of a review of Landowner agreements I am carrying out on behalf of GAGB. Although "challenging" is not a word I would use, I will certainly be trying to pursuade them to allow caching on land they control. Someone is getting a bit previous as they say. Who every it is is trying to stir things up :wacko:
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    Who has actually told you this?
    It was mentioned on the Geocaching UK page on Facebook by Rod Hughes .

"Unfortunately, following several problems on Council land at a range of parks and nature reserves as a result of geocaching, this activity is not permitted on Council land. Problems have related to the digging up of ground by treasure hunters, concerns raised by local users and residents, and insurance issues, particularly the issue of who would be responsible should there be an accident involving the organiser/geocacher and/or the public."
    I suspect they don't know what caching is? No digging involved, and a discrete hide shouldn't raise any issues with "locals", who wouldn't know it was there. Insurance, on the other hand, I'm not sure I've heard of a cacher holding an authority responsible for his/her actions, and it's far more likely a child will fall out of a tree in a council owned park than a cacher injure themselves reaching under a stile for tupperware.
    I hope this can be sorted.

It seems pretty obvious that they aren't talking about problems related to geocaching but have banned geocaching by mistake. Hopefully Palujia will have this notice removed pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty68 View Post
    and it's far more likely a child will fall out of a tree in a council owned park than a cacher injure themselves

....especially strange as the same website seems to encourage the use of parks for slackline (tightrope type?) walking!!

I think that they are concerned about insurance claims that the geocaching organiser may send their way, and the way that geocachers are causing problems for other park users. As well as the problems they get with geocachers digging all over the place.