18 78.26%
  • The GAGB take them down and allow each listing site to host their own

5 21.74%

Thread: Guidelines rules

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    nobbynobbs Guest

Default Guidelines rules

Should the GAGB list guidelines and negotiate any more national arrangements or would it be better for groundspeak to host their own rules so that people have the option to discuss them on the listing site that uses them.

Option A: the GAGB continue to hold and negotiate rules

Option B: the GAGB no longer holds them and makes the listing site host their own.

Alan White Guest

May I suggest that this isn't an either/or question? Listing sites will, quite rightly, usually have their own requirements for listing a cache, regardless of whether GAGB has its own guidelines.

Conversely, GAGB has no power to require listing sites to use GAGB guidelines.

So perhaps the question is really "Should GAGB produce guidelines/recommendations/best practice?"

I sense that there's an agenda behind the question which I regret I'm not quite seeing...

Much as I would like to I cannot vote on this proposition. GAGB claim not to have any RULES so the question doesn't arise.

I am one of those of the opinion that GAGB should hold a Best Practice guide for caching in the UK and that individual listing sites are free to use the guide to create rules or guidelines (depending on each site's policy) for their own members.

It does irk me that at least one listing site continues to maintain they have Guidelines when there is so little flexibility most of the time that they are de facto Rules. But that's a discussion topic for each individual site and not in this poll. I only mention it because it influences my thinking on the poll.

nobbynobbs Guest

My view in this is that the gagb should cease to list guidelines because for too long one listing site has hidden behind them and used them as fixed rules, whilst being able to pass the blame onto the gagb.

A detailed best practice guide can be written which clearly states that it should not be used by reviewers as a set of rules. This will educate and Inform and allow all listing sites the opportunity to debate their rules without passing the blame.

Can't vote either way on this as GAGB does not have rules.

It has guidelines - and I would prefer our UK Reviewers for Geocaching.com to use these GUIDELINES than for Geocaching.com to invent their own which would be based on caching practice in the USofA.
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -

nobbynobbs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by border caz View Post
    Can't vote either way on this as GAGB does not have rules.

It has guidelines - and I would prefer our UK Reviewers for Geocaching.com to use these GUIDELINES than for Geocaching.com to invent their own which would be based on caching practice in the USofA.
    I've obviously not explained myself properly.

The gagb list guidelines which are taken by groundspeak reviewers to be rules. The end result Is that the gagb write the rules for groundspeak. People who are not happy get told that there's nothing the reviewers can do, speak to gagb. Then the gagb say that they're just guidelines . Catch 22.

It is likely that non members will be unable to use the gagb forums soon. A move i think is sensible . This will generate more ill feeling because non members will be caught in a trap of the reviewers making.

A solution could be, take down the guidelines and write a best practice guide that specifically states it should not be used as a set of rules.
    Then an open discussion can take place on the groundspeak forum regarding what rules to use. This worked with the urban rule, which should've been handled by groundspeak reviewers as I believe they received the request, or by a group with representatives from each listing site.

Otherwise the gagb will continue to be berated regarding the rules....regardless of how many times someone corrects them and says guidelines.