Thanks Thanks:  29

Thread: Important Announcement For Forum Users Who Are Not Also Gagb Members

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Important Announcement For Forum Users Who Are Not Also Gagb Members

Several years ago we were asked to enable non-members to join our forums and therefore to post without becoming GAGB members. This was agreed and resulted in two databases, one recording GAGB membership and another recording forum membership.

The use of two databases has resulted in confusion (for example people don’t understand why they can’t vote as GAGB members even though they are forum members if they haven't joined both, and sometimes the incorrect status is shown in forums) and results in an ongoing maintenance overhead to keep records correct. The ever increasing number of users has resulted in the databases becoming increasingly unmanageable.

We recently polled our members on this subject and they voted 136-6 to move to a single database which has now been ratified by the committee. People who are currently Forum Members and not GAGB members (as shown in their forum title or in their profile) will have their accounts locked unless they change to GAGB members before the 1st June 2012. This can be done by contacting upgrade@gagb.org.uk People who do not become GAGB members will still be able to read our public forums as a guest and their previous posts will still be recorded.

We will attempt to contact Forum members who have joined in the last 18 months to invite them to upgrade but cannot guarantee that such messages will get through or that contact will be made.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Do you think a mass mailing is in order to inform those who are (or are not) members, but rarely visit? Perhaps with a link to the signup page?

Thanks

That's what we're intending to do, please see the last line of my post above.

Caching since 2001
    Committee (2003-2013)
    GAGB Friend

Alan White Guest

I guess one should take comfort that at least six GAGB members feel that a caching organisation which purports to make rules for all cachers should allow those who choose not to be members a voice in the rules which GAGB claims apply to them. Nevertheless it is disappointing that an organisation which could do so much good for cachers and caching cannot see the benefit in having non-members contribute to its forums.

It is not good enough to lock accounts as that would leave redundant personal data which I could no longer update; instead the accounts must be deleted. As the alleged reason for removing non-members is because the two databases cause confusion then all that is required is to delete the database that holds the forum-only members. All posts and personal messages must also be deleted or anonymised.

Ve8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post
    It is not good enough to lock accounts as that would leave redundant personal data which I could no longer update; instead the accounts must be deleted. As the alleged reason for removing non-members is because the two databases cause confusion then all that is required is to delete the database that holds the forum-only members. All posts and personal messages must also be deleted or anonymised.
    A wise post.

Under the data protection act I'm certain that if you hold personal data about someone that is incorrect you need to give them a route to update it. I know your not storing credit card numbers but things such as an email address come under the personal data header.

The UK has some strict data laws, I don't pretend know to any of them that well but I think it would be good practice to remove the data including posts.

136 thought differently and majority vote rules

Lilian

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post
    I guess one should take comfort that at least six GAGB members feel that a caching organisation which purports to make rules for all cachers should allow those who choose not to be members a voice in the rules which GAGB claims apply to them. Nevertheless it is disappointing that an organisation which could do so much good for cachers and caching cannot see the benefit in having non-members contribute to its forums.

Well, I completely agree with this

But majority vote does rule here...
    GAGB Chair
    Chair 2020-2021 & 2023-
    Vice Chair 2019-2020
    Committee Member since 2015
    Member since 2012

If I ever cease to be a member of GAGB I hope that all my forum posts will remain in place with my name above them.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

uktim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    Several years ago we were asked to enable non-members to join our forums and therefore to post without becoming GAGB members. This was agreed and resulted in two databases, one recording GAGB membership and another recording forum membership.

The use of two databases has resulted in confusion (for example people don’t understand why they can’t vote as GAGB members even though they are forum members if they haven't joined both, and sometimes the incorrect status is shown in forums) and results in an ongoing maintenance overhead to keep records correct. The ever increasing number of users has resulted in the databases becoming increasingly unmanageable.

We recently polled our members on this subject and they voted 136-6 to move to a single database which has now been ratified by the committee. People who are currently Forum Members and not GAGB members (as shown in their forum title or in their profile) will have their accounts locked unless they change to GAGB members before the 1st June 2012. This can be done by contacting upgrade@gagb.org.uk People who do not become GAGB members will still be able to read our public forums as a guest and their previous posts will still be recorded.

We will attempt to contact Forum members who have joined in the last 18 months to invite them to upgrade but cannot guarantee that such messages will get through or that contact will be made.
    It sounds like you need a better database manager!

I'm guessing that this isn't going to solve your database problems ;(

Ve8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by uktim View Post
    It sounds like you need a better database manager!

I'm guessing that this isn't going to solve your database problems ;(
    The double database thing confuses me a little as most forums normally run off one

Alan White Guest

Perhaps GAGB could say whether it intends to employ any of the suggestions in this thread and if not how it intends to comply with its obligations under the Data Protection Act.

This is under discussion in the committee.

Caching since 2001
    Committee (2003-2013)
    GAGB Friend

Providing any PERSONAL information supplied is accurate, and either secured, deleted or is able to be edited (any way of identifying that person), then the DPA doesn't come in to play.
    The DPA provides a method of either correcting or having deleted inaccurately held personal information - not anything else.

The DPA does not give people the right to demand anything they want deleting - but gives them the right to ensure that all PERSONAL information that is held is accurate and they can edit or secure as needed.

So, providing all non member accounts are deleted, and the posts remain as "guest" posts, then the DPA has NOT been breached, unless a "guest" post contains information such as "I am XXXX and my real name is XXXX", or anything similar that could persoanlly identify the said "guest" as a real person.

Posting an opinion or similar as an anonymous poster does NOT breach the DPA - only personal details fall subject.