Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hints and the asking for - a newbie question

Herts/Essex borders but I lurk a lot in Suffolk

Default Hints and the asking for - a newbie question

Often when reading logs I find something along the lines of "Wouldn't have found without help from <insert CO name here>" or "Found thanks to email overnight from < insert CO name here>"... and the like.

I'm wondering, what is the etiquette here, apart from the usual standards of politeness, etc., in asking for a hint? And is there a policy of not giving hints to "basic" members of Geocaching.com?

Having just over 150 finds, I have been desperate enough on three occasions to ask for a hint from (three different) COs. Only one has ever replied, though I have asked politely and nicely, and although they've all had site activity after my contacting them.

One of the COs mentions on his cache pages that he often offers no hints on the page, but he is one often mentioned by other "stuck" cachers as having offered help behind the scenes, as it were.

So, have I put my foot in it somewhere? Is it not done in this country to ask for help? On the general forum pages on Geocaching.com they seem to encourage it in the States but it doesn't seem so welcome over here.

I will always answer emails about my caches as quickly as possible as I belive that the reason I placed the cache was to take someone somewhere nice and to get the cache found.

It maybe that you have been unlucky with the COs which you have contacted. It could be that the CO is no longer active (check last visited on GC.com porfile), the email address which they used is no longer valid or that you have actually come across one that doesn't want their hides found.

The other potential issue is that you are asking about a puzzle but again, I will try to help people out as little or as much as I can (I won't give out the co-ords for a puzzle though unless someone has tried - I got an email outright asking for the final co-ords which sort of defeats the purpose).

Another tactic is to get to know (virtually or physically) some of your local cachers and email them if they have previously found a cache. Certainly, if you ever see my name on a log and want help finding a cache, just shout.

Herts/Essex borders but I lurk a lot in Suffolk

Of the three I have asked about, two are straightforward hides. One I have subsequently found without a hint. All the COs in question are active on the site and all had activity on the site after my messaging them.

The questions I've asked of the other straightforward hide and my remaining toughie, which is a puzzle cache, are to clear up ambiguities in the hint or on the cache page; I haven't in any case said "please tell me where it is". The CO for the straightforward hide is the only one to have replied.

The puzzle cache is a graveyard search, and an observational question. The graveyard I had no problem with; it's the observational element I come unstuck on. You have to count the number of objects you can see from a particular point, but that could be one of two places. Then, there is a tree between you and the objects: if it's in leaf you can see fewer than if the tree is bare... Ending up with two final locations worth "plumping" for, one of them is definitely private property and the other is in a place I'm not sure is private property or not but in any rate is somewhere I wouldn't feel comfortable searching, leaving me doubtful that I have understood the question... Hence my request for help.

The cache is in Suffolk but I'm heading back to Herts tomorrow so won't be able to pop back for another try easily for a while. I just know it will be stewing away in my head until I solve it!

Another tip is to always read a few of the previous logs - If there is a high preponderance of DNFs it could be that the cache has been "muggled" There are usually a few more salient hints in the logs (also check to see if any pictures - also sometimes a help)If the cache has a high degree of difficulty or terrain (e.g. 5/5) there is no shame in e mailing the CO for a little help (although as the previous posting says - no help for unravelling puzzles from them) There are apps on the phones for these anyway! If I get a DNF, I go away and have a think - research all the previous logs, look at other hides by the CO and try and get a handle on how they think - then have another go another day (it sometimes works !!)Sometimes caching is a bit like golf - a nice walk in the countryside spoiled ! good luck :
    Si vis pacem para bellum