Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hello from TheGeoRats in Cornwall

Default Hello from TheGeoRats in Cornwall

I would just like to say hello.

I am very new to the world of Geocaching.

Myself, my wife and three children all decided to have a go during half term.
    I think me being the big kid I am enjoyed it most. It was great though, it got us all out the house for a couple of hours.

We tried 3 very local caches and failed all 3, then last night I said lets just shoot out and get one, we ended up getting 2., one of the two was one we couldn't find a few days before.

At the moment we are using the Geocaching.com app for Android, it seems very good, although I am now looking at GPS devices for mountain biking and geocaching.

I may put a post up asking for advice for a GPS device that would be good for tracking my cycling route as well as geocaching.

Sorry for waffling, just a bit excited.

Hiya and welcome to the mad and fun world of caching. You will get loads of advice from different people regarding a GPS. Start with something cheap, like a Garmin Etrex. You will find second hand ones on Ebay and Amazon.

If you are on Facebook join the GAGB page and ask on there. That's always got a lot of traffic and you will get loads of helpful advice.

Most of all though, enjoy it.:cheers:

Hi and welcome to the game.

If you're looking for a GPS that can also be used for mountain biking you'll probably want something with a map rather than the most basic models.

There's a very useful comparison chart here http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/re....html#whichgps which shows the main Garmin & Magellan models, there are also lots of other useful bit & pieces on that site, which is run by another GAGB member.

If you've got any questions about anything come back and ask. Also you might find it useful to look out for any Event caches near you, you'll should find that the other attendees will have a selection of different GPSs so you could have a 'look & feel' before you buy!

Thankyou for the advice.
    I will have a look at a few gps devices, as for mapping when I'm on my bike, I don't really need that, I just want to be able to download the recorded route from the device and upload it to view it google earth/maps.

Welcome and be warned this hobby can become addictive

Welcome!

Sometimes the better remembered caches are the ones you have to return to again to find, having DNF'd them previously!

Never be afraid to log a Did Not Find on a cache, it's all about memories.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Hi The GeoRats,

As you're in Cornwall have you tried opencaching (By this I mean the official one http://opencaching.org.uk not the unofficial Garmin one which is not part of the Opencaching Network
    http://opencaching.com) as there are a lot near you. I'm giving this advice as an OC UK committee and management team member

Thanks
    Dominic (Geocaching Womble)
    Last edited by geocaching womble; 9th June 2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: mistake