Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hi From the Scottish Borders

Default Hi From the Scottish Borders

Hi I am new to goeocaching in fact I just found my first one yesterday whilst visiting relatives in the picturesque village of St Abbs, Using the Iphone app I decided to see if there were any around me. I decided to go for ROOND HILL seeing as it was nearest.

It was easy to find and the box was opened with care so as not to loose the contents over the 50 foot cliff on this windswept day. After nosing through the contents of the ammo box I decided that since I didn't have anything with me I would just sign the log and put it back where I found it.

Although it was windy and chilly day the views across the harbour were stunning. I love St Abbs and have been coming here for years but as a muggle. One thing for sure though I am going to have to get a basic gps if i decide to take this up (which is almost definite) I can see why folk get addicted to this.

One question, Is it OK to visit that box again just to put some booty in there?

Jim
    Last edited by jim3rg; 14th May 2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: error

jim3rg wrote:
    One question, Is it OK to visit that box again just to put some booty in there?
    Welcome to caching and to GAGB's forums!

I think most cache owners would be happy to have more trade items left in their caches - the contents tend to dwindle over time and a "stocking up" is usually welcome and might even save the owner a maintenance visit. A very few caches deliberately don't have trade items in them, often because they're very small or because they have a specific purpose, for example "Travel Bug Hotels" which are sometimes for TBs only. If that's the case, though, it should say so on the cache page.

Just be sure to make your online log a Note not a Found it.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Thank you for the welcome, I now have a wee kit put together of small items to leave in a cache. I am looking forward to finding y next one, there are a few that seam to be very close to me and hopefully the iphone will be up to the task, although it was very intermittent signal last time I was out, so I may have to wait until I get my gps.

Also purchased my first travel bug the other day and will drop it off in a cache once I have read up about the wee critters.

Jim

Travel bugs are lots of fun - most of us have a few circulating - If you attend any events where the Groundspeak "lackeys" are in attendance they usually have some to give away - I was lucky enough to get one from Jeremy - the father of GS - It's now happily making it's way round Germany at the moment. As a small note of caution - some get muggled and others just disappear - I've lost about 5 or 6 this year - although they sometimes turn up unexpectedly with an apology !! (e.g. forgot it was in my caching bag !!)Always remember the old chinese proverb - It's better to travel hopefully ! There are also "Coins" which are a bit more expensive, and quite often kept by finders ! These are usually very nicely made and it requires a lot of faith in your fellow cachers to set them free and see where they go ! A current fad is to take a picture of the coin and laminate it - so you don't have to put the actual coin in the cache - A bit sad I think as I really love finding a cache with coin(s) in. Found a beautiful "Help for Heros" coin in a very diffucult cache in Mablethorpe last year on holiday and have been tracking it ever since - It's covered over 1200 miles since I re-located it ! It's another facet of our hobby and helps when the weather is not kind and you can sit at home and follow the adventures of the bugs and coins !! Good luck and happy caching
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    Travel bugs are lots of fun - most of us have a few circulating - If you attend any events where the Groundspeak "lackeys" are in attendance they usually have some to give away - I was lucky enough to get one from Jeremy - the father of GS - It's now happily making it's way round Germany at the moment. As a small note of caution - some get muggled and others just disappear - I've lost about 5 or 6 this year - although they sometimes turn up unexpectedly with an apology !! (e.g. forgot it was in my caching bag !!)Always remember the old chinese proverb - It's better to travel hopefully ! There are also "Coins" which are a bit more expensive, and quite often kept by finders ! These are usually very nicely made and it requires a lot of faith in your fellow cachers to set them free and see where they go ! A current fad is to take a picture of the coin and laminate it - so you don't have to put the actual coin in the cache - A bit sad I think as I really love finding a cache with coin(s) in. Found a beautiful "Help for Heros" coin in a very diffucult cache in Mablethorpe last year on holiday and have been tracking it ever since - It's covered over 1200 miles since I re-located it ! It's another facet of our hobby and helps when the weather is not kind and you can sit at home and follow the adventures of the bugs and coins !! Good luck and happy caching
    Thank you for the welcome and reply. I activated my travel tag, I was wondering what the copy tag is for? Do I attache the tag too or is it for my information?

Jim