Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Advice on carrying and getting cache info

Default Advice on carrying and getting cache info

Hello
    I am relatively new to caching but now have 250 finds so have some experience. When planning a day I usually do a PQ of where I plan to go and then load this into my Garmin etrex with EasyGPS. I then "print" the cache information to a pdf file with TinyGPS and load this on to my mobile so I can read the pdf whilst out and about. This all works quite well but is quite long winded and I don't have any logs included.

I have Geocaching Live on my mobile (Nokia 5230) but find it unreliable for downloading cache info or maps when out on the moors or in a deep valley. I have thought about upgarding my mobile but if there is no 3G there is no 3G.

Can anyone give some advice on how you get your cache information when "off the beaten track" or an easier way to do things?

If you decide to upgrade your mobile go for an Android one. There are FREE apps that you can load your PQ into and therefore have all the info you want on the phone. If you are a GSAK user there is also GDAK for the Android that allows you to load all of your GSAK database onto your phone.

I use GSAK, once I have loaded a PQ to GSAK I export HTML files and put that directory on my iPhone. To do this I need third party app/program (disk aid/File aid) to allow me to copy files to iPhone but it is well worth it for me.

There is an app for the iPhone called iGeoknifethat allows you to load your GSAK database.