Thanks Thanks:  7

Thread: Gosport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gosport

Whats this i hear that gosport borough council have banned geo caching. ?

Negotiation appears to of been done between groundspeak and the council.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

About 3 weeks ago Gosport Borough Council became aware of two caches in their parks. One was in or near a rose garden and damage had been caused by finders, the other was hanging off a bridge over a small stream/river and access was via boat. They asked for both to be removed and I've already archived those. Both Groundspeak and myself have had extensive correspondence with the council and despite our best efforts to promote geocaching the council have banned it in their parks and also asked for all caches currently there to be removed. I have maps of their parks and will get those made available as soon as I get a moment and of course I will be archiving those caches still there as the council requested - there are about 30 of them.
    Sorry about this but it sometimes happens.

Edited to add, the council approached Groundspeak (GS) directly about the two caches and GS gave me the details, asked me to archive the two caches and contact the council which I did. I gave them links to the GLAD here, other agreements and 'success' stories but to no avail. I got the impression they'd already made up their mind to ban it!

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk
    Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Last edited by Graculus; 31st May 2012 at 03:18 PM.

One of the local cachers has been in contact with Gosport Borough Council, with a view to getting them to change their mind (they've been discussing this over on the GS forums Here:-

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=297235

&

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=296622

and they've asked me if I'll help them.

I just wanted to make sure there are no ongoing discussions with GBC, so they don't get the idea we're doing a 'pincer movement' on them.

GAGB isn't involved; Chris may still be in discussion so it would be good to check with him first.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I've exhausted my communication with the council. It was Kim Carron who initiated the 'ban' citing health and safety and insurance issues with geocaching on council land after they became aware of a cache under a bridge over a stream. Both Groundspeak and I have done the best we can but their last response was still no. I'm still in touch with Kim because of the map issue. The ones they sent me (linked to in the GLAD) now turn out not to be as accurate as first thought. I've already re-instated one cache that shows on council land but which they've said isn't. I'll be happy to do the same for other caches. Kim has said people can contact her directly about issues. I won't post her email address here as it might result in a deluge of complaints to her which won't help the situation. I'll PM it to interested parties.

When I initially contacted her after she contacted Groundspeak I explained geocaching, linked her to successfull agreements in the GLAD etc. etc. but I got the impression that they'd already said no and that was already final!

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk
    UK Geocaching Wiki
    Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Default Geocaching in gosport

GBC have uploaded a petition on there website but it looks like it can only be signed by gosport residents However; the is also an online petition that can be signed by all then printed and presented to GBC the link for it can be found on Hampshire Geocaches facebook page or on the Geocaching fourums (search gosport, Have you cached in gosport, to all gosport geocachers).

Many thanks again to all that have had a part in this so far.
    Last edited by theoddball; 18th June 2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling error