Thanks Thanks:  6

Thread: Archive request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Archive request

I have also posted this on EMcache...

I was out caching yesterday, and was hunting for this cache GC3F8R1 in Boston. While feeling between a wall and a fence for the cache (the clue is "between fence and wall") I came across a hypodermic needle, used.

I stopped searching, disposed of the needle and logged that the cache should be archived.

You all reckon this was the right course of action?

i think that's what I would have done too.

Quite agree with you decision. Unfortunately some cache placers don't actuall visit the area a few times before they hide. They just seem to take a look and think 'This will do'

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smudger105e View Post
    I stopped searching, disposed of the needle and logged that the cache should be archived.

You all reckon this was the right course of action?
    You asked for the cache to be archived because you found some nasty trash and got rid of it???

Well, phone boxes have already gone - but it looks like you think every cache in a CITO area should get archived once the CITO's complete then.......?? h34r: :cheers:

I think it depends on other factors, was the area stewn with rubbish, or signs of people using it as a drugs/drinking den? If so then requesting archival was maybe right. But if there was only one needle, and no reason to think that was a regular occurrence then you've dealt with the problem by removing the needle, why does the cache need to be archived?

The jury's out IMHO.

Thanks for your comments, I was not sure, that's why I have asked!!

I did put on the log when I requested the archive that the cache could be resited elsewhere in the park, the cache was hidden in a corner where there was obviously drinking etc going on. There were even six or seven empty beer cans adjacent to the children's play area! The park looked a reasonable area, and the cache was hidden in about the least desirable area possible.

As regards the CITO comments, I do not put used syringes in the same bracket as beer cans, broken glass or soggy carrier bags. If there is one syringe in the area where I am expected to do a fingertip search, who is to say that it is the only one?

But thank you everyone for their input.

Here is my log entry on GC

Was doing a finger tip search at where gps said was gz, found a used syringe and needle. Immediately stopped searching, disposed of needle, cache needs either archiving or relocating to a better area in the park.
    Last edited by smudger105e; 12th July 2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: additional info