Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Palm 3 Cables

60north Guest

Where can I get a cable that would link a Palm 3x to a Garmin GPS? I have plenty of Garmin to 9 pin dsub cables if there is a solution using one of these to a 9 pin to Palm cable. I also have dsub M-M or F-F connectors as well as dsub null modem connectors, just in case!

I have tried all of the usual suspects: -

ebay
    GPSBitz
    Serialleads

but no-one seems to sell them

John & Hazel Guest

You could try HERE Globalpositioning Systems

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by 60north@Dec 6 2004, 12:17 AM
    Where can I get a cable that would link a Palm 3x to a Garmin GPS? I have plenty of Garmin to 9 pin dsub cables if there is a solution using one of these to a 9 pin to Palm cable. I also have dsub M-M or F-F connectors as well as dsub null modem connectors, just in case!

I have tried all of the usual suspects: -

ebay
    GPSBitz
    Serialleads

but no-one seems to sell them
    I have a spare palm III USB cable... but the connector is easily removable if you're used to doing such things

...if you're interested, email me at

gagb@blitzfamily.org.uk

...and I may be able to help you

(I wanted some palm iii & palm v cables, and went to ebay... ended up doing a deal with a guy & got some really cheap bits&#33

Paul

NickPick Guest

I wanted to do the same a few years ago, and I made an adapter to connect the end of my Garmin cable to my Palm 3 cable. I just bought 2 male 9 pin dsubs from Maplin and a shell to hold them in, and soldered the wires to connect the correct pins.

It's basically a male-male null modem connector. I can't quite remember the pin connections off the top of my head, and I'm not sure where the adapter is now since I bought a sony clie a few years ago and can't get a serial cable for it. If I can find the connector somewhere in my loft, I'll let you know the pinouts, otherwise, you should be able to gather the required information from the internet.

60north Guest

I haven't been here for a while, and attempts to post have not got through.

The latest is that I didn't manage to get a Palm 3, but yesterday I won a Palm VIIx on eBay and am in the process of buying a Belkin Serial lead from the same place.

Now I will have to go back to researching Palm geocaching software.

Thanks for the response from all

Andy

60north Guest

Originally posted by NickPick@Jan 12 2005, 04:01 PM
    I wanted to do the same a few years ago, and I made an adapter to connect the end of my Garmin cable to my Palm 3 cable. I just bought 2 male 9 pin dsubs from Maplin and a shell to hold them in, and soldered the wires to connect the correct pins.

It's basically a male-male null modem connector. I can't quite remember the pin connections off the top of my head, and I'm not sure where the adapter is now since I bought a sony clie a few years ago and can't get a serial cable for it. If I can find the connector somewhere in my loft, I'll let you know the pinouts, otherwise, you should be able to gather the required information from the internet.
    For anyone who is interested.

The basic configuration for null modem connectors is: -

2 ---> 3
    3 ---> 2
    5 ---> 5

These are the minumum number of connections for it to work.

Andy

zuke_duke Guest

From personal experience, I can recommend pc-mobile.net for all PDA/GPSr cables. They seem to have unique products, and although Hong Kong based, ship quickly from a UK warehouse.

Motley Crew Guest

Originally posted by 60north@Jan 15 2005, 12:22 AM

Now I will have to go back to researching Palm geocaching software.

Andy
    Take a look at these:

CacheMate - excellent program for the Palm.

Also take a look at this GSAK - excellent PC Cache Management Program that also exports data to CacheMate amongst many others programs.

Ttry them out and if you like them registering them doesn't cost an arm and a leg - $8USD for CacheMate & $20USD for GSAK. I personally find them indespensible (as do many others) and well worth the pennies. You'll find the developers are very responsive and welcome suggestions for improvements/additions to their programs.

As Motley Crew says, CacheMate and GSAK are both excellent programs and extremely good value if you register them. I've been using them together with a Palm since August and they've made things so very much simpler.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​