Thanks Thanks:  9

Thread: Priorities

Default Priorities

What would be your top three key objectives for the GAGB to complete.

Are these realistically achievable? If so please give examples of how you propose this should be done.

What time scale for completion would you give them?

In no particular order, a review of GAGB Guidelines, update of the agreements database and engagement with the wider geocaching community regardless of location or whether they are involved in social media communications.

The first was started last year but this raised many questions so I really don't know how long it will take to get a result that people agree is the best approach but it needs an owner to listen to the various views and then to develop the existing proposal accordingly.

The agreements database update is potentially a big job, someone was going to start this last year so may have views about how much work is involved. Renewing contacts and negotiating is usually slow process so I think this needs a couple of people to spend several months to follow through.

Engagement is an ongoing activity but an initial objective could be to identify GAGB points of contact into each community or group and some suitable content / mechanisms which could be done within a couple months.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

My Priorities would be:

1. Make the GAGB more accessible to everyone
    2. Simplify the forum
    3. Make the GAGB Committee more in touch with the general caching populus
    How I would acheive this

1. Begin laying the groundwork to give British geocachers a feeling of shared ownership of the GAGB.
    2. Redesign the forum by Updating the boards on it and then making more simple to find what topic you are looking for and look at the forum guidelines
    3. Get out to events regularly and hear peoples thought about British geocaching and how to move the GAGB forward
    Timescale
    1. 2-4 Months
    2. 3-6 Months
    3. Ongoing thoughout my term in office (if elected)
    Thanks
    Dominic (Geocaching Womble)
    Last edited by geocaching womble; 18th November 2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Adding additional information

In no particular order

Complete Guidelines / Best Practice / Suggestions - was started but not completed - with small group on line meetings, agreed by full Committee. Consultation with full membership and agreement reached - 4 to 6 months

Landowner Database complete and up to date - this will need a big input and will then be ongoing

Communication - GAGB Website Forum / Facebook / events - to find out what cachers want and not what we think they want for progress and ownership of the GAGB by the members.

Lilian

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    What would be your top three key objectives for the GAGB to complete.
    How to condense my 7 points on my statement down to just 3.... I would want our committee to achieve far more than 3 objectives over the year so it's hard to pick just 3, rather like picking just 8 records for Desert Island Discs.

Top would have to be overhauling communications in general; this encompasses transparency, outreach/liaison, web site, forum, social media - don't want to sound like a broken record repeating myself, so very briefly
    • Transparency - make the way our committee conducts itself transparent to show our detractors that we have nothing to hide.
    • Outreach - liaise with regional forums, listing site forums, Facebook groups to ensure continuous dialogue
    • Web site - Revamp, then maintain to keep it current
    • Forum / Social Media - Integrate Forum with Social Media so that we push out topics of interest to our members.

Next would be overhauling the structures of our association; this includes consitution, guidelines and policy. In general, these should be made as concise as possible, specifically to support our needs and objectives.

The third would be our landowner database which has to be restored as our flagship, rendering the 2 other databases redundant.

Are these realistically achievable? If so please give examples of how you propose this should be done.
    In recent years progress has been limited to the time our committee members can put in. This has proven inadequate, so more hands are needed. I envisage a sub-committee for web site (see other thread), champions for outreach/liaison per forum/Facebook group, champions for land owner database entries. I would hope we have sufficient champions to have one per forum/group and one per land owner database entry, but if there are insufficient champions it may be necessary to have a few each.

All of these should be up and running within a matter of months, delivering tangible improvements on an ongoing basis.

What time scale for completion would you give them?
    I would expect them to be delivering results within a few months of starting. I would expect the web site revamp and first pass updating the land owner database to be completed before the next elections, but ongoing maintenance, ongoing liaison and ongoing land owner database approval reviews will continue, not complete at all.
    Last edited by sandvika; 18th November 2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Speeling mistaks :)

Having thought about it I now have a new top priority

TEAM BUILDING

If I am elected, I'd like to start off by working to ensure that the 9 members of the GAGB can work as a team and work to the collective GAGB goals (whatever the team decide they are).

Call it what you want..... clearing the air, venting the spleen, etc; but I do think it needs to be done before all else.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett

Counsellor? :wub:

Quote Originally Posted by JackieC View Post
    Having thought about it I now have a new top priority

TEAM BUILDING

If I am elected, I'd like to start off by working to ensure that the 9 members of the GAGB can work as a team and work to the collective GAGB goals (whatever the team decide they are).

Call it what you want..... clearing the air, venting the spleen, etc; but I do think it needs to be done before all else.

The Landowner database
    Membership drive/clarification
    Communication

The GLAD is one of the major talking points amongst players who actually know/care about the GAGB. This needs to be addressed. It may even take an acknowledgement from the committee that this has been allowed to lapse and that the committee will undertake to address this issue immediately. The committee then needs to agree on a solid method of dealing with the database, whether that is on a regional shared responsibility basis, or on a sole responsibility, or another way yet to be decided. But it needs addressing urgently.

Membership of the GAGB is not a straightforward process, there are many people on FaceBook groups who do not know if they are members or how to become members. I believe that the committee needs to make the process easier and follow up each new membership with a welcome/induction 'pack'. There may be an issue concerning the sharing of e-mail addresses, but would ask all listing sites to contact players who have indicated that they are based in Great Britain asking the player to contact the GAGB should they want clarification as to if they are a member or to contact us should they wish to join and receive all our 'benefits'.

The GAGB needs to get the message out. It needs to be pro-active in engaging with players and showing that it is trying to be a representative association.