Thanks Thanks:  12

Thread: Donations

Default Donations

As the rate of donations as dropped to only 1 since July 2012 how would you see the new committee getting the donation rate re-started?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    As the rate of donations as dropped to only 1 since July 2012 how would you see the new committee getting the donation rate re-started?
    Due to current climate people don't have the money just to donate, The GAGB should always be free for People to join and there for money should be raised from the sale of merchandise and advertising.

If I am elected I will increase fundraising by promoting the idea of events (and holding them if I am given the chance) for the purpose of allowing the GAGB to keep in touch with its membership who I would be directly responsible.

Over the course of these events I would try to have a raffle and other actives to raise the funds appropriately for the benefit of the GAGB and it's continued future.

Thanks
    Geocaching Womble (Dominic)

We need to understand why those people who have previously donated have stopped doing so. Did people donate once aor repeatedly? Is it simply that the economic climate means that everyone has less money or is there some other underlying cuase?

We simply don't know but we probably could find out by identifying previous supporters and asking.

Whilst I'm concerned that a lack of recent donations may indicate a cause for concern, GAGB isn't an expensive organisation to run. Webhosting is the only significant expense so far, perhaps if the new committee can identify a really useful member benefit then this will become a problem that we're pleased to have.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    We need to understand why those people who have previously donated have stopped doing so. Did people donate once aor repeatedly? Is it simply that the economic climate means that everyone has less money or is there some other underlying cuase?

We simply don't know but we probably could find out by identifying previous supporters and asking.

Whilst I'm concerned that a lack of recent donations may indicate a cause for concern, GAGB isn't an expensive organisation to run. Webhosting is the only significant expense so far, perhaps if the new committee can identify a really useful member benefit then this will become a problem that we're pleased to have.
    Here Here Dave

Thanks
    Dominic

i don't feel that donations are the best way, funding should be coming from the sale of merchandise and possibly advertising.

I think one of the issues may have been that the donation arrangement wasn't very well publicised.

Only since the elections have I heard/seen about it, after being a GAGB member since April 2011....
    Last edited by eusty; 18th November 2012 at 12:01 AM.

If the donations are not coming in, then the donations part of the web site needs to be more prominent, do a donation drive like Wikipedia or just have the committee asking for donations on our forum, on our Facebook page, in Seeker. Let's not be shy about it! At events where a collection or tombola takes place, split donated proceeds between GAGB and a good cause - don't give it all to the cause!

Some members might have been prompted to donate by their profile type being changed to "GAGB Supporter" for doing so, but this was not applied uniformly, nor was there an expiry date (1 year?) that might solicit a further donation.

The overall issue with donations is that it might places the onus on those who care most - quite possibly, many of whom are standing for election now! When we have clear and evident relevance to the majority of our community, a modest membership fee would ensure an authentic membership and spread the load much wider.

Donations to charities in general fell by 20% in the year 2011-2012 so it's hardly surprising that donations to the GAGB fell too. It's probably unrealistic to expect those who are already paying Groundspeak for premium membership each year to donate to the GAGB. Let's consider other ways of raising the necessary funds such as advertising on the web site, selling merchandise at events or setting up an online shop to sell geocaching related items.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomblou View Post
    Donations to charities in general fell by 20% in the year 2011-2012 so it's hardly surprising that donations to the GAGB fell too. It's probably unrealistic to expect those who are already paying Groundspeak for premium membership each year to donate to the GAGB. Let's consider other ways of raising the necessary funds such as advertising on the web site, selling merchandise at events or setting up an online shop to sell geocaching related items.
    Good idea

I would agree with you on that

Thanks
    Dominic

When I was elected on the GAGB Committee last year, one of my strengths is the fund raising I have done in the past.

Over £2000 raised in my first year as fundraiser for mega Wales until my husband's illness caused us both to resign.

S Wales events 2011 & 2012 - I organised a tombola at the event to cover the costs of the Cawl a Cacen events ( Welsh lamb stew and Welsh cakes to non-Welsh speakers ) 80 fed 2011 and 30 at 2012 - it rained so we were all in our caravan and awning but good fun.

Christmas at Cheddar - £130 raised ( rain stopped many from mingling in the evening unfortunately) and given to the event organisiers.

Pirates 2012 £370 raised and given to the event organisers.
    As we all know many fun events do not 'just happen' they need time and money spent on them.

Geolympics and Mega Cartmel both had GAGB stands with games run on them with the profit given to charities - this could be given to GAGB funds.

When I asked about fundraising I was told it was through donations and they covered the main cost which was funding the web hosting.

I think that each chosen Committee member could host an event - such as Dave of the Wombles when he organised the CITO event, in the name of the GAGB. Just £20 raised by 9 would cover what is needed.

I have taken the GAGB labels around to S Wales and Devizes events - £48 paid in with another £25 to bank.

Finally I make camouflage bags ( I have given bags to every Mega Committee except the first Mega at Harrogate) - mainly for fund raising as stated above and currently I am selling them at events as I am trying to recoup the money I have spent on material, thread, toggles and velcro. Should it be needed I can make them for the GAGB .

The question targeted Donations and if we decide to stay with donations only then I think messages on the forum, GAGB Facebook and Twitter account could be requested. If one fifth of the membership gave £1 less Paypal fees - it would cover the web hosting ( sorry can't remember how much it is and if I am incorrect I apologise in advance).

If we don't tell/ask the GAGB members how will they find out.

Quote Originally Posted by eusty View Post
    I think one of the issues may have been that the donation arrangement wasn't very well publicised.

Only since the elections have I heard/seen about it, after being a GAGB member since April 2011....
    Top menu bar of forum 5th item across is Donate, it's been there since I have been a member.
    There is also the Donations progress bar at the foot of the Forum page
    Donations have featured on the GAGB news page of Seeker for at least the past 12 months.
    On the front page of the Website there is a donate link.
    How much more does it have to be publicised?

I have been involved in fundraising as a volunteer for a couple of organisations, there has been a noticeable drop off in our receipts. The Canal Society provides leaflets to people on the towpath, the history of the canal, the walks, membership application, the hiring of the trip boat AND a leaflet asking for donations or a bequest. I have had every one of these bequest leaflets thrust back at me in no uncertain terms. Asking for donations can sometimes be counter-productive. I would be inclined to leave the tabs as they are on the site, and if someone clicks on it and donates then we haven't lost anything. I would however advocate general fundraising activities, a raffle, an event, merchandise and other innovative ways too. This would also help to raise the GAGB profile.

The fundamental thing about any type of donation is that there has to be one of two outcomes:

1. The person donating receives something back which they value more than the actual donation. This is not necessarily in true monetary terms.
    2. The person donating understand that what they gives betters someone else and therefore gives the donator a warm fuzzy feeling. Again this may not be monetary but could be in kind (committee members is a prime example).

If we can manage one or both of those, I believe that we are more likely to have more donations - I know I certainly would donate if that is the case but the two criteria above have not really been met for me hence me not donating.

We need to make sure that as an organisation we are relevant to the caching community and that they feel that the GAGB brings value or donations will continue to reduce IMHO.

If donations are low/non existent, could I ask what advantage is there of the GAGB groundspeak account being PM? Is that £20 that could be better spent elsewhere or is it a necessity in order to publish event caches or post on the forums etc...?

Think you have got a bit confused. The Premium Member account is nothing to do with the GAGB, this is something provided by the Groundspeak listing site which allows extra game playing functions.

As membership of the GAGB is free and there are costs incurred to host the website etc donations are sought from people who want to ensure that the association is funded through voluntary payments. There has been some discussion regarding the GAGB charging a subscription, I do not agree with this at the moment as feel that the committee and association need to show that it is adding significant value to the gaming experience.

Quote Originally Posted by northking View Post
    Think you have got a bit confused. The Premium Member account is nothing to do with the GAGB, this is something provided by the Groundspeak listing site which allows extra game playing functions.

As membership of the GAGB is free and there are costs incurred to host the website etc donations are sought from people who want to ensure that the association is funded through voluntary payments. There has been some discussion regarding the GAGB charging a subscription, I do not agree with this at the moment as feel that the committee and association need to show that it is adding significant value to the gaming experience.
    My guess would be that frosty68 isn't confused - and is probably referring to GAGB's account on geocaching.com being a premium member account, as opposed to a free account

I think I might not.
    Last edited by frosty68; 21st November 2012 at 08:34 PM.

Apologies Tony, I thought that you was asking about the relevance for an individual paying for PM membership and had linked it in with the GAGB.

I believe that this issue has been raised and answered before. It is clearly something that the outgoing committee could answer in full.

I would also require an answer as to whether this was a necessary expense. But I am sure that the GAGB merchandise funds this kind of expenditure.

The premium membership was initially set up in May 2011 - when the 'GAGB Award Scheme' was launched as we wanted to have a bookmark of all those caches nominated for the awards.

However, that was an idea that didn't take off and after a few months we decided to drop it.

In May this year, the committee agreed to continue with the PM fee and also to try and make more use of the 'Bookmark' feature. There is one bookmark list, but as with all bookmarks this also another job that constantly needs updating and therefore will added to the list of 'jobs' to do for the new committee if we wish to continue with this resource.

The premium membership will be reviewed by the committee when it is due for renewal next year.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Clearly our committee of the time thought that it is worthwhile. If we can't get a complimentary premium membership from Groundspeak (as a country association supporting our hobby) then I don't think we should have one, because it amounts to supporting one listing site over another and compromises our neutrality.

If we want bookmark lists, let's have them on our web site. If we want to offer GPX files for GAGB events, lets have those on our web site too. Our calendar should have links to events, wherever they are listed.

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    If we can't get a complimentary premium membership from Groundspeak (as a country association supporting our hobby) then I don't think we should have one, because it amounts to supporting one listing site over another and compromises our neutrality.
    The committee did discuss asking Groundspeak, but decided against it .... as thought that it would be seen (by some UK cachers) that we were 'working with/too close/getting favours from Groundspeak' .... so decided not to ask.

Also, as far as I am aware (I may be wrong) but the other listing sites don't offer a chargeable service at the moment.

If we want bookmark lists, let's have them on our web site.
    Again, this was something we discussed (and may well have done it on the website as well if the awards had taken off), but decided that it needed to show in the bookmarks on the cache pages as that is what people are familiar with.

Our calendar should have links to events, wherever they are listed.
    They do when I spot them - but everyone is welcome to add their own events to the GAGB calendar.

Although, the cross listing of your event on OC.org.uk (OK030B) earlier this month nearly caught me out (but didn't) when it was published only a few days before the event - which surprised me seeing as the GC.com (GC3Y26T) event was published nearly a month ahead of time. Afterthought

I am still suprised that only one person (Woking Wonders) has logged an attendance on your OC.org.uk event when 28 attended the GC.com event. I would have thought that this was an ideal time for you to promote Opencaching.org.uk (at your own hosted event).
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
    Quote Originally Posted by sandvika
    If we can't get a complimentary premium membership from Groundspeak (as a country association supporting our hobby) then I don't think we should have one, because it amounts to supporting one listing site over another and compromises our neutrality.
    The committee did discuss asking Groundspeak, but decided against it .... as thought that it would be seen (by some UK cachers) that we were 'working with/too close/getting favours from Groundspeak' .... so decided not to ask.

Also, as far as I am aware (I may be wrong) but the other listing sites don't offer a chargeable service at the moment.
    Yes, I can appreciate which ever option is chosen, there's an argument in favour of the other.

TerraCaching and Munzee also have premium membership, though bookmark lists are not features on either.

If, in the interest of demonstrating neutrality or inclusiveness, GAGB chose to pay for premium membership of TerraCaching, I would not be surprised if some of our members objected on the grounds of relevance. I would favour free memberships as it eliminates the perception of value for money (or not) and am willing to negotiate for this if our committee would like me to.

If we want bookmark lists, let's have them on our web site.
    Again, this was something we discussed (and may well have done it on the website as well if the awards had taken off), but decided that it needed to show in the bookmarks on the cache pages as that is what people are familiar with.
    It would of course have been on our website by necessity had caches from multiple listing sites been represented in the awards.

Our calendar should have links to events, wherever they are listed.
    They do when I spot them - but everyone is welcome to add their own events to the GAGB calendar.

Although, the cross listing of your event on OC.org.uk (OK030B) earlier this month nearly caught me out (but didn't) when it was published only a few days before the event - which surprised me seeing as the GC.com (GC3Y26T) event was published nearly a month ahead of time. Afterthought

I am still suprised that only one person (Woking Wonders) has logged an attendance on your OC.org.uk event when 28 attended the GC.com event. I would have thought that this was an ideal time for you to promote Opencaching.org.uk (at your own hosted event).
    I wasn't aware we could add our own events: that's good to know, thanks.

My cross-listing was expedient rather than an after-thought. The last time I was the only one who logged my event on OC, despite giving OC goodies away at the event. This time I cross-listed it only when I knew another OpenCacher was planning to attend. In fact there were about 5 who might have logged it: not everyone logs cross listed caches or events on both sites. Amberel has logged a note, I don't know whether intentionally or by accident.

... Amberel has logged a note, I don't know whether intentionally or by accident.
    I logged it as a "note" instead of "attended" by accident - the text made it clear I had attended. I've changed it now, not that it makes any difference.

Rgds, Andy
    Last edited by amberel; 23rd November 2012 at 05:06 PM.

If someone gets in touch with Craghoppers today and negotiates a GAGB sponsorship agreement (as penance for their damaging "Geo Cache" advertising video gaffe), they get my vote. The iron is hot just now, so strike!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    If someone gets in touch with Craghoppers today and negotiates a GAGB sponsorship agreement (as penance for their damaging "Geo Cache" advertising video gaffe), they get my vote. The iron is hot just now, so strike!
    I think realistically this would need to be handled by an existing committee member - those of us who are just candidates don't hold that mandate

Yes, but if they're seeking re-election I don't mind if they mention that they did this!

Yes, but if they're seeking re-election I don't mind if they mention that they did this!
    Well, I have heard it said that everyone has their price :lol:

Jen Maple Leaf has contacted them I believe

Now then about that vote??????:lol:

Seriously I have just approved the web manager of Craghoppers into the GAGB FB group and welcomed her (after a message from Geotees xxx) I also messaged her I think she has a lot of sorting out to do LOL

I also take on that as I had admin access I could do it whereas others couldn't (yet LOL)

It will be interesting to see what develops

Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post
    Seriously I have just approved the web manager of Craghoppers into the GAGB FB group and welcomed her (after a message from Geotees xxx) I also messaged her I think she has a lot of sorting out to do LOL

It will be interesting to see what develops
    <stickinthemud>I'm struggling a bit - I'm not on FB, don't like it - for various reasons, no plans to be on there in the future - so I'll be out of the loop </stickinthemud>

I find this spanning of multiple but seperated channels quite difficult

I am sorry - I carried in with the thread and didn't look to see which one it was

I just wanted to let GAGB members know that action was being taken as it were.

I know quite a few don't like Facebook but it is a way of keeping in touch - hopefully this forum will be as popular in a few weeks as it is now. It is up to all of us to use it and keep it so

Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post

I know quite a few don't like Facebook but it is a way of keeping in touch - hopefully this forum will be as popular in a few weeks as it is now. It is up to all of us to use it and keep it so
    I think that's optimistic Lillian, forums everywhere are being replaced by Facebook groups. Whether right or wrong, secure or not, it appears that the majority of our players prefer the immediacy of that kind of social media.

I believe that the dialogue and action achieved with Craghoppers shows how effective and immediate Facebook can be.

Even with tapatalk activated for this forum it is clear that our players prefer to use Facebook, they can have lots of groups open, dip into them as and when they choose and post easily.

The GAGB need to have an effective method of communicating with as many players as we can. Straddling different medias (ouch!) seems to be the only way at the moment.
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

But not all like Facebook and we have to have the means to contact all members if we can through whichever media suits them I even signed up to twitter yesterday.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoy Facebook and think it is a brilliant way to keep in touch with cachers you may meet only once a year at megas or other events.
    Last edited by mollyjak; 26th November 2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

... it is clear that our players prefer to use Facebook ...
    Some, not all. I use FB (for geocaching, but nothing else) because that's where most of the traffic is, but I find it a very poor substitute for a proper forum.

Rgds, Andy

Another snip, slightly out of context. I was raising concerns that after the committee elections that the new committee retracts from Facebook or other social media and plonks themselves in here in the hope that everyone will 'drop by' and communicate in here. I believe that the GAGB committee needs to be 'visible' and accessible to as many players as possible, whether members or not.
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.