Thanks Thanks:  12

Thread: Donations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Donations

As the rate of donations as dropped to only 1 since July 2012 how would you see the new committee getting the donation rate re-started?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    As the rate of donations as dropped to only 1 since July 2012 how would you see the new committee getting the donation rate re-started?
    Due to current climate people don't have the money just to donate, The GAGB should always be free for People to join and there for money should be raised from the sale of merchandise and advertising.

i don't feel that donations are the best way, funding should be coming from the sale of merchandise and possibly advertising.

I think one of the issues may have been that the donation arrangement wasn't very well publicised.

Only since the elections have I heard/seen about it, after being a GAGB member since April 2011....
    Last edited by eusty; 18th November 2012 at 12:01 AM.

If the donations are not coming in, then the donations part of the web site needs to be more prominent, do a donation drive like Wikipedia or just have the committee asking for donations on our forum, on our Facebook page, in Seeker. Let's not be shy about it! At events where a collection or tombola takes place, split donated proceeds between GAGB and a good cause - don't give it all to the cause!

Some members might have been prompted to donate by their profile type being changed to "GAGB Supporter" for doing so, but this was not applied uniformly, nor was there an expiry date (1 year?) that might solicit a further donation.

The overall issue with donations is that it might places the onus on those who care most - quite possibly, many of whom are standing for election now! When we have clear and evident relevance to the majority of our community, a modest membership fee would ensure an authentic membership and spread the load much wider.

Donations to charities in general fell by 20% in the year 2011-2012 so it's hardly surprising that donations to the GAGB fell too. It's probably unrealistic to expect those who are already paying Groundspeak for premium membership each year to donate to the GAGB. Let's consider other ways of raising the necessary funds such as advertising on the web site, selling merchandise at events or setting up an online shop to sell geocaching related items.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomblou View Post
    Donations to charities in general fell by 20% in the year 2011-2012 so it's hardly surprising that donations to the GAGB fell too. It's probably unrealistic to expect those who are already paying Groundspeak for premium membership each year to donate to the GAGB. Let's consider other ways of raising the necessary funds such as advertising on the web site, selling merchandise at events or setting up an online shop to sell geocaching related items.
    Good idea

I would agree with you on that

Thanks
    Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by eusty View Post
    I think one of the issues may have been that the donation arrangement wasn't very well publicised.

Only since the elections have I heard/seen about it, after being a GAGB member since April 2011....
    Top menu bar of forum 5th item across is Donate, it's been there since I have been a member.
    There is also the Donations progress bar at the foot of the Forum page
    Donations have featured on the GAGB news page of Seeker for at least the past 12 months.
    On the front page of the Website there is a donate link.
    How much more does it have to be publicised?

I have been involved in fundraising as a volunteer for a couple of organisations, there has been a noticeable drop off in our receipts. The Canal Society provides leaflets to people on the towpath, the history of the canal, the walks, membership application, the hiring of the trip boat AND a leaflet asking for donations or a bequest. I have had every one of these bequest leaflets thrust back at me in no uncertain terms. Asking for donations can sometimes be counter-productive. I would be inclined to leave the tabs as they are on the site, and if someone clicks on it and donates then we haven't lost anything. I would however advocate general fundraising activities, a raffle, an event, merchandise and other innovative ways too. This would also help to raise the GAGB profile.

The fundamental thing about any type of donation is that there has to be one of two outcomes:

1. The person donating receives something back which they value more than the actual donation. This is not necessarily in true monetary terms.
    2. The person donating understand that what they gives betters someone else and therefore gives the donator a warm fuzzy feeling. Again this may not be monetary but could be in kind (committee members is a prime example).

If we can manage one or both of those, I believe that we are more likely to have more donations - I know I certainly would donate if that is the case but the two criteria above have not really been met for me hence me not donating.

We need to make sure that as an organisation we are relevant to the caching community and that they feel that the GAGB brings value or donations will continue to reduce IMHO.

If I am elected I will increase fundraising by promoting the idea of events (and holding them if I am given the chance) for the purpose of allowing the GAGB to keep in touch with its membership who I would be directly responsible.

Over the course of these events I would try to have a raffle and other actives to raise the funds appropriately for the benefit of the GAGB and it's continued future.

Thanks
    Geocaching Womble (Dominic)

We need to understand why those people who have previously donated have stopped doing so. Did people donate once aor repeatedly? Is it simply that the economic climate means that everyone has less money or is there some other underlying cuase?

We simply don't know but we probably could find out by identifying previous supporters and asking.

Whilst I'm concerned that a lack of recent donations may indicate a cause for concern, GAGB isn't an expensive organisation to run. Webhosting is the only significant expense so far, perhaps if the new committee can identify a really useful member benefit then this will become a problem that we're pleased to have.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    We need to understand why those people who have previously donated have stopped doing so. Did people donate once aor repeatedly? Is it simply that the economic climate means that everyone has less money or is there some other underlying cuase?

We simply don't know but we probably could find out by identifying previous supporters and asking.

Whilst I'm concerned that a lack of recent donations may indicate a cause for concern, GAGB isn't an expensive organisation to run. Webhosting is the only significant expense so far, perhaps if the new committee can identify a really useful member benefit then this will become a problem that we're pleased to have.
    Here Here Dave

Thanks
    Dominic