Thanks Thanks:  4

Thread: How often should our committee meet?

Default How often should our committee meet?

An organisation I'd like to join but can't because it conflicts with existing commitments meets every 2 weeks. I chair a committee that meets every 3 weeks and am a member of a council that meets every month. In the past year, our GAGB committee has met every 2 months.

How often should our committee meet in the coming year, and why do you have this opinion?

Let's keep it flexible and let the Chair call a meeting when there are matters to discuss.

I would suggest that a regular meeting date be agreed, ie every 2 months, but allow the Chair to call interim meetings as and when the need arises (in line with current constitution).

I take it your not thinking of "Physical" meetings but Skype style ones.
    If not and the elected include say JackieC you may all be travelling to somewhere like Sheffield or Leeds to meet

Almost all previous committee meetings have taken place in a chat room, with a few teleconferences and occasionally even physical face to face

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I understood meetings to be held 'on line' Madyokel, but being centrally based and in the fortunate position of having free time, then Leeds and my home town of Sheffield for meetings would be an excellent choice!

A committee needs to meet at regular, but not necessarily frequent, intervals, if only to monitor progress on previous decisions. If additional meetings are necessary, to deal with matters that cannot be delayed, then the Chairman should have the power to convene one.
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

There should be a published schedule of meetings which allowas people to forumlate questions and have items added to an agenda in goof time to allow the committee members to understand, research and form an opinion on a particular topic.

Doing it this way means that meetings will be far more effective - a new item added at the lat minute will necessitate a longer meeting or an item being pushed to the next meeting; either of which has an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tares Clan View Post
    There should be a published schedule of meetings which allowas people to forumlate questions and have items added to an agenda in goof time to allow the committee members to understand, research and form an opinion on a particular topic.

Doing it this way means that meetings will be far more effective - a new item added at the lat minute will necessitate a longer meeting or an item being pushed to the next meeting; either of which has an impact.
    Bingo! My view is that committees that meet "when needed" don't tend to meet and there is a tendency towards stagnation. I think this is the precise opposite of what GAGB needs! I think that meeting every 2 months (ie. 6 times per term on the committee) as has been the case in the last year is similarly indicative of a slow-paced organisation, or one that is on top of its game as a well-oiled machine.

Thus, I think for GAGB to be more progressive, achieve more and increase its relevance to our community, it is necessary to have meetings more frequently and with precise agendas published in a timely manner in advance as The Tares Clan suggests. My preference would be for monthly meetings, however, this clearly will have to be one of the first decisions our new committee takes, which is why I posed the question.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tares Clan View Post

I have just realised how bad my spelling was on that post!