Thanks Thanks:  8
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Other Caching Sites

Default Other Caching Sites

Okay, I admit it. I have never looked at, or had any interest in other caching sites. My numbers are growing nicely on the Groundspeak site and I haven't seen the point in starting again somewhere else. So for all the people who talk about other sites being better/different etc. etc. Why should I use them? Sell them to me.

Like you I only use the one so it makes no difference to me.
    I bet GS has about 95% of the active caches in the UK.

But I do see the wisdom of interaction with the other sites, one of the criticisms of the GAGB is that they are the puppet of GS.
    Only being inclusive to all caching sites would counter this.

Quote Originally Posted by eusty View Post
    I bet GS has about 95% of the active caches in the UK..
    I bet you're about 4.99% out there
    Snip of the same section of the map, GS.com and OC.com...spot the difference...

I'm no longer actively caching, but when I was I did look at other cache listing sites from time to time. I felt, though, that as they had so few listings compared to GC.com it would be rather unrewarding to list on them. I realize that's a bit of a vicious circle - don't list on them and they won't grow - but I wanted my own caches to be found and be found often.

When GC archived all locationless caches I moved my one LC to Terracaching, and the figures speak volumes. In three years on GC it got 203 found logs. In the three and a half years it's been on TC it's had just seven. Obviously it's not a physical cache, but I think the figures still illustrate the difference between sites.

I'm no fan of monopolies, and I'd like to see other listing sites providing healthy competition to GC, but I'm afraid I can't see that happening.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Like you I only use the one so it makes no difference to me.
    I bet GS has about 95% of the active caches in the UK.

But I do see the wisdom of interaction with the other sites, one of the criticisms of the GAGB is that they are the puppet of GS.
    Only being inclusive to all caching sites would counter this.
    Puppet of GS - emotive words* which deliver no benefit to anyone

Does the forging of stong links with listing sites mean the same thing as being their puppet?

Absolutely not.

What use would GAGB be without interaction with listing sites?

Probably little to none.

So long as GAGB supports cachers regardless of which listing site(s) they prefer to use everything should surely be rosy?

*I realise the emotive words don't necessarily fit the view of the writer

I had been hoping that someone who uses the other game sites might offer something to pursuade me, I haven't heard anything yet. I know that the GAGB does have some supporters of the other sites on here. What can you tell me?

Sandvika is your man for that, he seems to have finds and hides on most sites.
    There is a lot of shouting about being inclusive of all listing sites, so I'm also curious about what they bring to the game.

They probably won't bring much to it! But at least it gives the 'view' that the GAGB isn't 'affiliated' with one listing site which is a misconception of many.

It's all about perception.....

They probably won't bring much to it! But at least it gives the 'view' that the GAGB isn't 'affiliated' with one listing site which is a misconception of many.

It's all about perception.....
    And opportunity

The listing sites will make of themselves what they choose and what they are able to.

GAGB is here for cachers and as a bridge between them and listing sites where appropriate and useful :cheers:

I placed a Terracache 3.5 years ago at Uffington White Horse and it's had 11 finds in that time. I have a Groundspeak listed cache just round the corner which has had 297 finds in the same time period (despite a couple of temporary suspensions).

Of course, it's not all about the numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    I placed a Terracache 3.5 years ago at Uffington White Horse and it's had 11 finds in that time. I have a Groundspeak listed cache just round the corner which has had 297 finds in the same time period (despite a couple of temporary suspensions).

Of course, it's not all about the numbers!
    I've never used any site other than geocaching.com and never felt the need to as it does everything I want.

Never felt the need to scratch beneath the surface of any of the other listins sites before but I had a quick look at Terracaching today and liked the idea that there seemed to be a strong focus on quality.

Good idea - does it work in practice?

I joined Terracaching in 2009 but have never used it..

TBH I wasn't sure if I was still a member because my original sponsors had withdrawn and I was put up for adoption.

I find that side of it a little strange.. it's a bit like being a member of some exclusive society whose membership is by invitation only.

Anyway, I just logged in and it appears two kind souls took pity and adopted me.. :socool:

The concept of getting sponsors who approve your caches means that there should be a relationship between cache placer and reviewer.

This has pros and cons; the quality should be higher and issues should get sorted out. On the other hand there is distributed control which makes it difficult for organisations like GAGB to contact and build a relationship with representatives for the listing site. It'll be interesting to see if this can be developed this year.

I was actually more wondering if peer review drove quality up?

Or not - as the case may be

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    The concept of getting sponsors who approve your caches means that there should be a relationship between cache placer and reviewer.

This has pros and cons; the quality should be higher and issues should get sorted out. On the other hand there is distributed control which makes it difficult for organisations like GAGB to contact and build a relationship with representatives for the listing site. It'll be interesting to see if this can be developed this year.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. The lack of replies from people who use the other sites tells me that there are a couple of posibilities.

Nobody frequents the GAGB who use those listing sites ( yet I know a few do)

or

There isn't anything different/better to offer than what I already have with Groundspeak.

With the elections on at the moment and all the talk of the GAGB supporting members from all the different caching sites, I would have thought that my question was asked at an appropriate time for people to reply whose first choice as a listing site isn't Groundspeak. Not only for myself to learn something, but the candidates as well.