Thanks Thanks:  8

Thread: Revenue

Default Revenue

I am probably going to get shot down in flames here.

Could the new GAGB committee perhaps consider raising some revenue to pay for site upgrades by allowing appropriate geocaching adverts from companies to be placed on the site? I am not saying charge them the Earth, but a nominal yearly fee would go someway to helping wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post

Could the new GAGB committee perhaps consider raising some revenue to pay for site upgrades by allowing appropriate geocaching adverts from companies to be placed on the site? I am not saying charge them the Earth, but a nominal yearly fee would go someway to helping wouldn't it?
    Any mileage in Google Adsense as a starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post

I think it's worth pursuing which is why I made the same suggestion (and others) in the donations thread.

Sorry Zomblou, I must have missed that bit.

Maybe now would be a good time to speak to Craghoppers about potential sponsorship

I'm curious to know how much it costs to host/run the GAGB site. My resource site is hosted by QiQ and costs me £25 a year + £4.50 for the domain name. Less than £30. For that I get a huge number of features including SQL. I've been told before that the GAGB have a complex database structure because of the membership details, but I've never understood why it's complex when there is no payment required to be a member. Isn't it just a list?

As for advertising... I get the odd email from companies about my site asking if I want to advertise on it and I always refuse. I hate banner ads that pop up when you don't want them. If you can, keep the GAGB free!

Chris

I'm not sure about the database structure as a mysql database is well just a database! I can't see anything fancy about the GAGB site which you would call complex.

I'm guessing that beyond hosting costs there will be others, the 033 phone number might cost, as will returning phone calls and the banners etc for events. These monies must be found somewhere, sponsorship, sales and donations seem the obvious ways, and I see no reason why a company such as craghoppers, or berghaus, garmin etc.. couldn't have a small ad on the homepage (not a popup) for a fee ensuring the site itself is fully self funded. Excess could then go towards events etc...

The banners have already been paid for in full and was funded by the money donated from the sales of the geocoin.
    The 033 number is a fixed charge per month as noted in previous accounts statements HERE second item
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 28th November 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eusty View Post
    I'm not sure about the database structure as a mysql database is well just a database! I can't see anything fancy about the GAGB site which you would call complex.
    When I set up my resource site about 4 years ago I offered to help the GAGB and re-write the landowner database. That was when I was told it wasn't such an easy job because of the way the site was put together. So I never went any further with the offer.

Re the costs. How much are the GAGB paying for web hosting?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Graculus View Post
    I'm curious to know how much it costs to host/run the GAGB site.
    Looking back at the Accounts spreadsheet and here, for the last two years the annual charge for server fees has been £47.40.

It is normally due paid in January ... so something for the committee to discuss ASAP if we are considering moving it.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

If you are considering moving then it might be best to run two servers for a short while?
    Upgrade the forum/site to a new server and keep the old one running while you sort the new one out. Then hopefully it will be just a case of updating the sql tables and DNS when it's ready.

I'm beginning to realise that I have been happily oblivious to lots! And now resorted to pen and notebook, this is something else that I now have questions about!
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by eusty View Post
    If you are considering moving then it might be best to run two servers for a short while?
    Upgrade the forum/site to a new server and keep the old one running while you sort the new one out. Then hopefully it will be just a case of updating the sql tables and DNS when it's ready.
    I could probably host a test environment under my domain for a period to allow testing to take place. The URL used would obviously not be the gagb.org.uk one but it should be easy to port anything done but again we need more info from Cass I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tares Clan View Post
    I could probably host a test environment under my domain for a period to allow testing to take place. The URL used would obviously not be the gagb.org.uk one but it should be easy to port anything done but again we need more info from Cass I guess.
    I did PM *geocass* while the election was ongoing - to suggest some inexpensive but reliable web hosting - and didn't receive even an acknowledgement

Quote Originally Posted by Team Microdot View Post
    I did PM *geocass* while the election was ongoing - to suggest some inexpensive but reliable web hosting - and didn't receive even an acknowledgement
    Looks like that invisibility cloak I got for my birthday works perfectly

Looks like that invisibility cloak I got for my birthday works perfectly
    who said that ??
    // looks around