Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Groundspeak retiring 'Challenges'

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Mendips, Somerset
    Posts
    2,769

    Default Groundspeak retiring 'Challenges'

    News Flash .... announced 10 minutes ago in the Groundspeak Forums

    Posted by Groundspeak:

    In our effort to inspire outdoor play through Geocaching, we are often faced with decisions about what to focus on next, and what to focus on less. It is through these decisions that we explore opportunities to grow the global game of geocaching.

    Occasionally, during this process, we are faced with the reality that certain ideas donít catch on as we had hoped. In these situations we owe it to ourselves and to you to make tough decisions about the future of every project and the resources to be applied to each. Sometimes, as a result, cool features must become casualties.

    In this spirit, we have decided to retire Geocaching Challenges.

    This means that, effective today, we have disabled the ability to create new Challenges. We have also removed the Challenges application from all mobile application stores. In approximately 7 days, we will be removing all traces of the Challenges functionality and related content from Geocaching.com.

    On an office wall here at HQ is a sign that reads, ďLetís make better mistakes tomorrow.Ē By accepting that we will sometimes get it wrong, we can allow ourselves to learn from and imagine new opportunities in the world of Geocaching. Our hope is we can take the lessons from Challenges and create better tools to guide you on your next adventure.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Church Warsop, Notts
    Posts
    518

    Default

    I could have told them that it wasn't going to work, and always suspected that it would be withdrawn. Hence my zero total of challenges.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kings Lynn, Norfolk
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Not unexpected, didn't really catch on.

    Bring back virtuals!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eusty View Post

    Bring back virtuals!

    ....totally agree - bring back virts.

    However I do (kind of and just about) pity the poor 360,001 UK reviewers if they do, QC nightmare (and "What about 40 soggy 35mm film pots in a five mile circle?" I hear you say.)

    Yup, bring back virts:socool::socool:

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Yep, bring back virtuals!

    I rather liked locationless caches, too...!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Surrey, near Heathrow
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    I could have told them that it wasn't going to work, and always suspected that it would be withdrawn. Hence my zero total of challenges.
    For myself I'm not sorry to see them go. Nor am I keen to have virtuals back - the reason I go geocaching is to find geocaches. There are plenty of alternatives if you like virtuals. They don't add to your geocache find count, but then there is no reason why they should - they aren't caches.

    Rgds, Andy

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post
    For myself I'm not sorry to see them go. Nor am I keen to have virtuals back - the reason I go geocaching is to find geocaches. There are plenty of alternatives if you like virtuals. They don't add to your geocache find count, but then there is no reason why they should - they aren't caches.

    Rgds, Andy

    Fair enought Andy, but as has been said many times in many forums, each to his own.

    I have been taken to a host of interesting locations of historical and geographical interest that I would not have visited had there not been a cache there.

    In urban locations, especially given the increasingly restrictive measures now adopted by UK reviewers, I would not have experienced and fully understood the significance of these places.

    So, as I said, bring back virts, they can be as enjoyable as a clip and lock tupperware container of toot!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Halifax, uk
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I came into the game after the removal of virtuals, so I don't know what I'm missing.
    As I understood it though, they just take you to a location without the need for tupperware? If the sole advantage is to place caches in areas where a hidden box is impossible, but you hope people will find interesting, why not a simple multi, visit location, answer simple question to get coords,sign nearby log? - except, of course, a lot of people are scared of multis and won't to them.

  9. #9

    Default Virtuals

    Quote Originally Posted by eusty View Post
    Not unexpected, didn't really catch on.

    Bring back virtuals!
    Agree! Love them.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kings Lynn, Norfolk
    Posts
    124

    Default

    They were granfathered before I started caching, but I've found a few, mostly in places where a cache would be a 'muggle magnet'.

    I guess the ones which are left are the 'good' ones, as I can see they could be open to abuse?

  11. #11

    Default

    Bring back virtuals! As long as they are set in such a way that you have to go to GZ and can't cheat!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Porthcawl S Wales
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Yep, bring back virtuals!

    I rather liked locationless caches, too...!
    And me as you never knew when you were going to drive past one

  13. #13

    Default

    I certainly won't miss Challenges (only done one, just to say I had given it a go). I used to love virtuals and locationless and at one time I wanted them back but sadly now I think there would just be a rash of rubbish pointless virtuals thrown out and so I nolonger want to see them back - unless they were to be policed in a similar way to Earthcaches and that ain't gonna happen.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    676

    Default

    And what about the downside of bringing back Virtuals?

    The fact that the door is opened to Landowners, to refuse Permission for Physical Placements, and only accept Virtual Caches.

    This is a true example faced in the US, with their National Parks Service. Who said regularly in negotiations over the years "we'll happily allow Virtual Caches", whilst at the same time Banning Physical caches.

    Oh and I'm currently facing a battle with a member of Staff for a CC, who is trying to drive out Physical caches, in favour of Earthcaches. Despite there being a Placement Agreement in place. That Battle has even included FC owned, Land when a CO made contact about Permission. Mistakenly believing it to be CC owned land.

    And there are currently enough moans about the amount of Rubbish Physical caches out there. Do you really believe that a huge number of Rubbish Virtuals, will not be banged out, if brought back? Because if you believe so, your dreaming.

    Groundspeak made a effort to save Virtuals, by bringing the WOW factor, but one mans diamond is another mans dross, that failed miserably.

    There are always 2 sides, and sometimes 3 or 4. But some seem to see just one, "what happened in the past".

    Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

    Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

  15. #15

    Default

    Wow, the forum's having fun here and double posted my comment above 11 minutes later !
    Last edited by martybartfast; 5th December 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •