Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetgal View Post
Firstly, let me say, thi sis not a nit picking comment, as I know some will perceive it to be, but meant to be helpful and informative from someone who works in the field of access.

Please use the term disabled cachers. That follows the social model of disability, and describes cachers who are disabled by their environment.

Nowadays, the parlance is impairment not disability to describe a condition or illness, so it would become cachers with impairments.

I know this is confusing as at least two people here have been describing themselves as having disabilities, but if we are going to have this discussion, we should be progressive and contemporary in our language use.

Many thanks for understanding.
thank you for your input on PC terminology GC it is very helpful it is confusing for me as in magazines I read and a newsletter I receive says for people with disabilities, and on any forms I fill in eg. One recently for a hospital procedure, it asks you to list any 'disabilities' you have.

There are so many words used like disabilities, impairments, some benefits like Incapacity Benefit, although that has now changed, severe disablement allowance, it is difficult to know what terms are acceptable.

I didn't really think there was a significant difference between saying I have disabilities and I am disabled, but your explanation above demonstrates that there clearly is thank you

I'm not able to think very clearly at mo - brain fog, so please forgive me if I have not explained my thoughts clearly or have misunderstood what you are saying
As I understand it, it is the environment we are in at any one time that disables us from doing x,y,z have I understood that right?

It is good to have the benefit of your vast experience in many areas with things like this DG thank you for sharing

My heading on my cache is titled 'Disabled Access', do you think this I a Good title? I chose those words as I feel it refers not just to wheelchair access.