Thanks Thanks:  9

Thread: *** GAGB Prize Quiz ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb *** GAGB Prize Quiz ***

The first attempt at hosting a monthly prize quiz is here.

The actual puzzle is here. The quiz is being hosted externally as we are trying something a little different. :socool:

If you submit a correct answer the checker will record that fact, give you a tick and allow you to register your answer which will then be placed in the table. The committee have chosen at random a numbers which will correspond to an entry on the list. This is our winner for the month.

Only GAGB members will be eligible to win the prize. This month (January) the prize is an unactivated NW Mega geocoin.

Good luck :wub:
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

Default Correct?

Well the checker said I'd got it right, but then weebly threw a wobbly and it's not showing my answer either way AND it wasn't an archived cache!!

Tried it again, and certitude is not logging successes or failures; does this matter? will you see the attempts anyway?
    Last edited by jayjaybee8; 17th December 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Yes, that's the aim Dave, but it seems that my attempt at 'forcing' certitude to host the answers on one of my archived cache pages doesn't record details, or show details.

This may well be a 'back to the drawing board' moment as it works with me trying it, but not as an alias. I did say it was a first attempt at trying something different!

Apologies to all, I will try to get the checker (or a checker) up and running as soon as poss.

Default January Quiz Below.

I did try to link to a geo checker type machine in the hope that it would provide a satisfying 'ding' for a correct answer and then allow everyone to be automatically inputted into a table for all to see. I have failed!

So in the hope that I can get it right (I am talking to certitude) I will resort to the tried and trusted method of posting the pic here, and correct solutions will have to be e-mailed to me (sorry) and I will post a table as we go (even sorrier!).

So, here it is

THE ANSWER IS A COMBINATION OF GEOCACHING RELATED LETTERS AND NUMBERS. TAKE THE FIRST LETTER FROM EACH PICTURE. THE CORRECT ANSWER IS GEOCACHING RELATED.

(YOUR ANSWER IS LIKELY TO BE CORRECT IF YOU CAN SEE '090' ON THE PAGE)

I suspect that if you change the cache that the puzzle is associated with to an active one, then the recording of the results will probably start to work....

So do I, but didn't want to meddle with an active cache - but will try something later. Thanks for the help, most appreciated.

I have received a number of answers via e-mail and messages on here, I will put them into a table and post them on here later.

11 Correct entrants so far, in time and date order :

1 jayjaybee8
    2 angus mckenzie
    3 retallick ramblers
    4 keehotee
    5 long tailed kite
    6 mb face
    7 kirsten
    8 frosty68
    9 ashby bells
    10 halthornhill
    11 Team Clova

Lots of time to crack the puzzle, regular updates will be here.
    Last edited by northking; 16th January 2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added Team Clova

Default January quiz - closed

So, that's the January Prize Quiz done.

All of the entries (12 in total ) have been checked and verified. The full list of correct entries can be seen above.

Before posting the quiz I chose a number at random and posted this in the committee forum, this number was to be >>>>>>> {{drum-roll}} 8.

So this means that Frosty68 is this months winner.

Congratulations, and thanks to those of you who played along. (Please get in touch with your address Frosty68 and I will mail you the coin).

:cheers:

The answer : G unsmoke C oldplay K estrel 7 mile bridge H orse Chestnut H aiti. GCK7HH
    Last edited by northking; 17th January 2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added solution.

Hurray! :-D
    It was nice to have a puzzle I could solve

Quote Originally Posted by frosty68 View Post
    Hurray! :-D
    It was nice to have a puzzle I could solve
    I know who to contact when I have a puzzle I can't solve - which is most of them LOL

Default ***february prize quiz***

January marks the birthday of EarthCaches, so here is the quiz, (based on EarthCaches). It's in 3 parts, correctly answer all 3 sections for a chance to win an unactivated Geocoin, (Thanks Tony )

At the moment there are 661 EarthCaches in the UK. The earliest UK EarthCache listed is The Shivering Mountain EarthCache, it was placed on 17/02/2005.

Questions to answer :

1. Which EarthCache has received the most favourite points in the UK?

2. What is the GC code of the longest running active EarthCache (Worldwide)?

3. What is the local name for this EarthCache (and the GC code)?

That's it, 3 EarthCache questions, closing date for entries midnight on 15th February 2013. Winner will be chosen at random.

Please contact me via personal message on this forum to submit your answers. I will occasionally add a list of correct entries on this thread. If you get an answer wrong, I will let you know, you can try as many times as you want, (but this is easy ).

Hope that you enjoy it, and even if you don't want to win the prize you can have a go and enjoy learning a bit more about EarthCaches.

keehotee Guest

Just a couple of points.....

1. Only premium members are able to sort Groundspeak caches by favourite point. Please can you point out an alternative means of solving this for non-groundspeak and non-premium cachers.

2. Just a suggestion - you could also have included a non-groundspeak educache question to broaden the field and encourage the GAGB's non-partisan, fully inclusive ethos

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Just a couple of points.....

1. Only premium members are able to sort Groundspeak caches by favourite point. Please can you point out an alternative means of solving this for non-groundspeak and non-premium cachers.

2. Just a suggestion - you could also have included a non-groundspeak educache question to broaden the field and encourage the GAGB's non-partisan, fully inclusive ethos
    1. Anyone can join Groundspeak, and sort through 30 ish pages of EarthCaches in the UK to check the number of favourite points, should they wish.
    2. Yes I could, (and I did consider this, knowing that it would cause the 'odd' comment) but as only 12 people joined in with last months quiz I felt that it would be a rather risky strategy at this early stage to introduce the less popular listing sites and potentially put people off from entering.

I look forward to your future positive participation.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post
    I know who to contact when I have a puzzle I can't solve - which is most of them LOL
    I couldn't even do this one!

Has the answer for the January question been published?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    Has the answer for the January question been published?
    Now added to the appropriate post. Thanks for pointing it out.

Default March quiz

This months prize quiz can be found here.

There is only one question to answer, but I have included a bonus for those that actually complete the task.

The competition will run until 20th March 2013.

The winner of the competition will be chosen at random and the prize will be announced in due course.

You can see the previous quizzes and previous winners at the GAGB Quiz site, the quizzes are being hosted externally to save space etc.

BUT please send me a private message with your answers using my profile on here. Thanks.

Correct entries (date/time order) so far :

1. Kirsten
    2. Keehotee
    3. Gushoneybun
    4. Fitzsimons
    5. Martybartfast
    6. Jayjaybee8
    7. Bill D
    8. Perditus
    9. Original Red Hen
    10. Eddie Robinson
    11. Popsycle
    12. Long Tailed Kite
    13. Martletsman
    14. Halthornhill
    15. Velosaurus
    16. Ursus Bear
    17. Ashby Bells
    18. ph123456
    Last edited by northking; 15th March 2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added no.7 - 18

Default Competition No.3 March 2013

Is this where I post my answer to the quiz?

You send it as a pm to Jeff (northking)

only another week to go and only 6 entries in the draw

Ey, come on! Yes, it's a little bit of googling, but very interesting results and facts.

I sent in an answer a couple of days ago, but it doesn't look like Jeff has been online here in the last 2 weeks. I was intrigued by the quiz having got FTF on some of the terracaches that inspired it.

I apologise for my absence, I have been otherwise engaged - Geocaching and the like!

The winning entry will be drawn on 20th March.

Default Winner - march 2012

Thanks to all who joined in, and apologies again for the spasmodic updates and the tardiness of the draw. I have been overtaken by life events this month, but as they are now settling down I can have a bit of a tidy up.

This months winner (chosen at random on the GeM Facebook group by Julie from Ben and Jules) is number 7 (Bill D)

Here's an image of the thread..

Drop me a line Bill and I will let you know the prize (which isn't to hand as yet)

The answer to the quiz was 'THE NENE VALLEY RAILWAY'

and I am hoping to get out that way, do a couple of power trails and the new TerraCaches down there too.

Give me a couple of days and you will have a new quiz to puzzle over.

By the way, the additional bonus for those eagle-eyes was the code to one of my geocoins, the letters/numbers were intentionally blurry. No one got them!
    Last edited by northking; 25th March 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added image for clarity!

Googling didn't do it for me, I got the item but several possible locations