Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Geocaching with Palm and Mac

60north Guest

All of the things are finally coming together. I now have a Palm VIIx running OS 3.5 and a Mac Powerbook running OSX (10.3.7) as well as a couple of Garmin GPS units. I will shortly have almost every possible combination of connection cable!

I am looking for software that will allow me to start caching paperlessly.

Is there anyone else who is using a similar combination of equipment who can advise me on what software they are using along with any successes and failures in getting it all working?

Thanks

Andy

60north Guest

Geocaching using Palm and Mac Hardware

As no-one was able to input anything so far I have gone off and done some research which I hope might help others in a similar situation.

Mac Hardware

I am using a Mac Powerbook that was bought in a moment of recklessness when the device I was using to connect to the net was running so slowly there was a good chance that I was going to throw it through the window. I was previously a died in the wool PC user and had been using PCs since DOS 6. I have also supported PCs, Windows and Novell servers and PC and Mac networks. Since buying the Mac I have realised why all of the Mac users were against going over to PCs. I have a Win laptop as an emergency backup, but it has been out of its case once in 6 months. The Powerbook runs OSX 10.3.7

Palm Hardware

It is quite easy to pick up older Palm organisers on eBay for £10 these days. Look for a Palm 3 or later. As a matter of interest the one that I just won for just over £10 was a Palm VIIx. If you need any advice on how to win eBay auctions and pay the lowest possible amount for items that you want to bid on just contact me.

Palm Software

I have found a shareware application called Cachemate that you can try before you buy that will act as a cache database. Go to http://www.smittyware.com for Cachemate. Registering this software is a mere US$8. I am not sure at this stage if Cachemate has the functionality to allow uploading of cache details. It would appear that there are some settings for comms to a GPS but I have not tested how it all works at this stage. If I had a criticism of the application it would be that the help file that I have found isn’t that helpful, but perhaps there is something that I have missed somewhere.

Palmsource, Palm’s own software site as an page that is worth visiting for information on applications that would help geocachers: - http://www.palmsource.com/interests/geocaching/

There is also a great deal of information on navigation and the Palm OS at this site : -
    http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/Palm/pilotgps.htm

Mac Software

Macs are not as well blessed for software as PCs but there is a GUI front end that has been produced that will allow you to download .LOC and .GPX files from www.geocaching.com (the latter only once you have paid for the GC full member package) from your Mac to the Palm via Palm Desktop or the iSync conduit. The software is called MacCMConvert and it can be found here: - http://www.jfatherton.co.uk/MacCMConvert/ This application is freeware.

If you want to geocache paperlessly then I can’t think of a cheaper way to do it than the Palm organiser route. Although I have shown how it can done with a Mac, a similar route can be taken with the PC. Cachemate has its own companion program for the PC, so the GUI front end MacCMConvert would not be necessary.

Andy

westonwanderers Guest

Do you know about the Geocache Midlet, Hosted by GeocacheUK? If you have a mobile phone, that supports java games, you may want to give it a try.

Point your wap browser at HTTP://mobile.guk2.com

This will let you search for the 10 neariest caches to any uk co-ordinate, and retrieve the description and clue.

westonwanderers Guest

Do you know about the Geocache Midlet, Hosted by GeocacheUK? If you have a mobile phone, that supports java games, you may want to give it a try.

Point your wap browser at HTTP://mobile.guk2.com

This will let you search for the 10 neariest caches to any uk co-ordinate, and retrieve the description and clue.