Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: London

Thumbs down London

..or any other big city....how horrible is it to cache there!!

We went to watch a show (Lion King...recommend it!) yesterday and decided to grab a few caches while we were there.

Muggles galore everywhere (although this was central London) so we did a few virtuals. Even that was a pain as the GPS reception was terrible, I'm guessing it was down to buildings/refections etc

Give me a nice walk in the country any day!!

I have to disagree, we have found some great caches in London. Yes, it is more awkward because of the amount of people but it all adds to the fun. There are some decent sized caches as well. I expected them to be all micros and nano's but they were far from it.

I'm quite happy to do a bit of urban caching - if they are done well / take me somewhere interesting / don't involve lurking suspiciously in unnatural locations or sifting through filth.

To date though I'd have to say I've not come across many urban caches that met these basic requirements - but then I've not searched them out (no pun intended) either.

I've enjoyed caching in London as it's easy to see which ones people like and I plan around the highly favourited ones. I do have a huge dislike of London for the record but I've nabbed some great caches there.

I've done some great caches in London, although I think you need to be choosy about which ones you do.

As for muggles I see them as an advantage lots of the time. A lone cacher searching in the middle of a quiet town square/village green is going to stand out like a sore thumb, a cacher in the middle of Trafalgar Square surrounded by a couple of thousand other people who are all totally immersed in their own world will go un-noticed. And there's one thing you can be sure of in London, however weird you think you may look searching for that cache there will be someone else within a couple of hundred yards who is ten times weirder.

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    As for muggles I see them as an advantage lots of the time. A lone cacher searching in the middle of a quiet town square/village green is going to stand out like a sore thumb, a cacher in the middle of Trafalgar Square surrounded by a couple of thousand other people who are all totally immersed in their own world will go un-noticed.
    To hide a leaf, place it in a forest?

I can attest to this principle - although not in London - never been there - but I've certainly experienced the feeling of being rendered invisible in a crowd and being able to find, retrieve, sign and replace completely unnoticed while people passed within feet or even inches

I guessed as most of my caching has been done where you need to look inconspicuous if anyone is about I've got a bit paranoid!

I'm not saying there are no good caches, we enjoyed the ones we did, but not as nice as strolling along a field with just me (and Mrs eusty) and the wildlife

Urban caching? Well, I guess that it is another (different) aspect to the game. I tend to look back on previous finds and if they are memorable, for the hide/location/puzzle/incident/series then these are special. I have a handful of urban memories alongside a treasure chest of rural ones.
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.