Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Small Prize to be won!

As some of you will be aware, a small group of uk cachers, are working to set up a UK listing site, were the members are in charge. We are running a small competition to find a name for the site! The prize will geocaching, but non GC related, to the value of £10. Details can be found Here On G:UK, all names entered will be checked for Domain Name availability.

Dave-Mancunian Pyrocacher
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Entrance to the Name compatition has now closed with all names entered, and the poll conditions, are now viewable Here!
    Hopefully the poll will go live by Tuesday!
    Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

That's quite a list!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Originally posted by Bill D (wwh)@Jan 30 2005, 10:50 PM
    That's quite a list!
    That every one may now vote for their choice Here, please remember by voting your having a democratic say in the site!

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Dave, I can't find the poll page - could you post a direct link? Your link in the previous post goes to gcuk's home page, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of this poll there.

Here you go Bill the Poll, and yes it is on G:UKs home page, I've just checked and the link is working and the poll is there, honest :unsure: .

Brian (Dego), put it up for me, I have the same access as other visitors to the site, so when there is a problem I have to chase Brian ., who even if he does not realise it, is acting as the independent adjudicator

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

You're quite right, Dave, it is there! I'm away from home, and the pc I'm using seems to be serving up out-of-date cached pages from last time I was here, which I didn't notice, so I got an old poll. Doh!

Originally posted by Bill D (wwh)@Feb 3 2005, 12:22 PM
    You're quite right, Dave, it is there! I'm away from home, and the pc I'm using seems to be serving up out-of-date cached pages from last time I was here, which I didn't notice, so I got an old poll. Doh!
    Thank heavens for that! :wacko: I had visons of my knee caps disapearing due to claims of vote rigging :P

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

The new site is now officialy known as "geocaching.org.uk", this was chosen after recieving 56 votes (45.16%) of the 124 votes placed as of 00:35hrs on the 17th of Febuary, (please rememer, that I do not have admin rights on G:UK, so am unable to close the polls down).

The communitys new task is to design a Logo for the site, full details can be found Here.

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Ok folks now we are officially "geocaching.org.uk", its time to start thinking about a logo for the site. All entrants will go in a poll, run along the same lines as the name poll format (Dependant on the No's, and a whether one Logo receives 75%), of 2 polls to pick the Site Logo.

Submissions will be made to a email address, and all entrants will be displayed before the polls.

Submissions of designs will open on Saturday 19th of February and run until midnight on the 5th of March. with the first poll being run as soon as possible after Monday the 7th of March ending at midnight on the 7th day.

Things to remember when creating your submission:

Not too many colours

Keep it as simple as possible

Keep it themed

Keep it unique

What you should be aiming for, is something which will display well on a monitor, at all resolutions. Is clear, for those with restricted sight. Is simple to copy onto signature items, for those who hand craft their own. Will look good on,site merchandise, such as T shirts, Mugs, and other items used to generate income for the site (all income generated from merchandise, will be plowed back into the site, and will not be treated as profit).

The winning submission may be passed over to a professional Graphics Designer, to be tided up, this will in no way distract or alter the winning design, in any major way, but will be done to present a professional image.

One thing to remember, all submissions will become the copyright of "geocaching.org.uk", until such time that a elected Management Committee (once the site is up and running, the development team, will be handing over the site, to a properly elected committee) is able to deal with the proper uses of the logo .

So come on folks, as we have already demonstrated, this will be your own listing site, with you imput running it. So get Designing what could be your Logo.

Ok folks here's the address to send your designs for geocaching.org.uk's Logo competition.

geocaching.org.uk@gmail.com

Please send your entrys as a jpeg, and keep the size to no more than 6mb. Over the next few days, I'll be making arrangements to post them on a web page. I'll post a link to it asap.

I know that there are a lot of talented people out there, but we do not even have one entry yet, come on folks, lets see those skills at work.
    Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Originaly posted on G:UK:

"Come on folks! This is your site, and your say will run it! I've had one entry of a Logo design. There was a lot of people willing to send in entrys for the logo competition for the G:UK logo, so were are you all?

If you wish to enter a design please send it to: geocaching.org.uk@gmail, this email address is exclusively for use relating to matters dealing with the site, and your email address will not to stored or passed on!

Please pass this request on to your geocaching friends, who do not visit the forums!

Remember it's your site, and your say will run it, you will not be dictated to over the running of it!"

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Just to up date things, I've now had 8 designs from MoonHerb, who adviced me that geocaching.org.uk is rejected by Outlook as a valid address (I use Outlook for the familys isp email address, but never checked it, as I have a yahoo address as main contact) if anyone is having problems using this address, please send entrys to mancunian@fsmail.net .

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Come folks, where's your entrys for the sites logo, I've had 4 persons send in their entrys. But I know that there is a lot more talent out there, so come on fire them of to geocaching.org.uk@gmail.com , All entrys will be put on display, and go into the poll to chose the winner! At the end of the day it will be the communitys choice, as to which design is picked as the logo!

Please remember! This is your site! And your say will run it! So put some input into the site, by sending in your designs for the logo!

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

All the entrys submited are now available to view Here , I will be organising the first of 2 polls (unless any entry gets over 75% of the votes) to start on the 19th of March. For anyone wishing to contact me re the site, contact details are available on the page.

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

ok folks here is a grovelling apology to those whose entrys were accidentaly missed off!

We are very sorry and it is being rectified, as I type!

What hapened is that gmail, for some unknown reason, nested emails and replys together, when the sites Webmaster Downloaded the emails from the gmail account, for some reason, only the very first email from each person was downloaded, meaning that 6 logos were missed. Lesson learned, and once again apologys to those who had enterys missing!

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Right folks after a slight hicup between Deego and myself, the poll to vote on the logo, is now active. Before voting pleasse visit geocaching.org.uk to view all the entrants.

Please vote, as this is your site, and you will say how it is run!

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

OK folks the final poll to choose the logo of geocaching.org is up and running. Please visit http://www.geocaching.org.uk/logos before voting. Apologise to the creator of logo 3, but unfortunately the software will not compress the wording under the logo properly, please do not be put off by this if you intend to vote for this one, when viewed uncompressed it has "www.geocaching.org.uk" written at the bottom.

Please remember that this is "your" site and "your" say will be involved in the running of it. So vote and have a say in "your" logo as part of the continuing democracy that is geocaching.org.uk.

Dave a strong believer in GAGB

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

gralorn Guest

What was the winning logo ? and where can the six others that were missed be seen out of interest. I appreciate the entries are all done and dusted, would just like to see and know what won.

Hi gralorn if you visit www.geocaching.org.uk/logos/ you can see the 3 current logos which are being voted on. You will also find a link to the actual poll so you can still vote for your favourate one. The poll is hosted on the front page of geocacheuk.com. I will sort out a web site showing all 21 logos with the names of those who submited them after the voting is over. S please view them and vote!

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Ok folks we now have a official logo selected by the UK geocaching community. Here are the results:

Logo no 1: 17 votes (23.61%) entered by Moon herb

Logo no 2: 31 votes (43.06%) entered by Moon herb

Logo No 3: 24 votes (33.33%) entered by Hancock Clan

Total no of votes 72.

I now declare that Log No 2 is the official Logo of geocaching.org.uk.

Congratulations to Moon Herb on submitting the winning entry.

I would like to thank the following persons for submitting entrys to the competition.

Moon Herb
    Hancock Clan
    Bill D (wwh)
    Marinor
    markandlyne

Non commercial usage of the logo is allowed, but all copyright remains with geocaching.org.uk.

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Having just organised another CITO event, I realised whilst terms such as "Cache" and "Event are generic and can be used by anyone. GC can claim copyright on "Cache In Trash Out" and "CITO". also Trash is a term more commonly used in the states to describe rubbish, whilst here in the UK, Rubbish and Litter are more common words.

So I'm looking for a name exclusive to geocaching.org for CITO events that we list.

As per usual all names entered will go into a poll(s) dependant on how many names are entered, each poll to run for 7 days with the winning name being used to describe CITO Events listed on geocaching.org. And the person submitting the winning name receiving a small prize.

The closing date for all entrys will be midnight on the 18th of June, with the first poll hopefully starting on the 21st of June (subject to our independent returning officer being able to put the poll up by then).

Please enter all sugestions

Here on G:UK

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl