Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Novice in Mega need advice

Default Novice in Mega need advice

more then five months to go, but it is time to start the Mega plans.

The Midland Mega will be my first Mega. It is on my way to Scotland and no idea what I have to expect (of both: my new life in Scotland and the Mega).

I'm on my own with my car, the cycle on a rack on the rear lip, all my camping stuff and the most of my belongings (I use my wee car as a removal van) in the car.

Any advice what to do?

I want to organise a pitch on the camp site and to visit the hog roast on Friday.

First book on to the main mega site - then let them know you are coming (on GS and on site) - Check all the events, leading up, on the day and after and decide which to attend
    There will be lots of stalls to look at (don't forget to visit the GAGB stall!)
    Some of the events will want you to "log in" - You will also find that a lot of cachers will be wearing name tags of some sort so keep an eye out for people you have seen on the Web site or other social media - we are all very friendly - There will be people doing "mass" walk rounds of local caches - So you can find a group to go round with - or just follow the herd!! - Keep an eye on the main mega site in the weeks leading up to the event as lots more things tend to be added !
    If you cache on your own or in small groups you will be astounded at the vast numbers of people who share our hobby - introduce youself to some of the World wide visitors - Last year we spoke to people from as far away as New Zealand and Australia who came over specially - Also keep an eye out for Groundspeak people - they give away free travel bugs !
    Drink lots of Wine
    Eat lots of Hog
    Make lots of new friends !
    (make sure you have lots of spare batteries for the GPS and camera)
    happy caching and hope to see you there
    Si vis pacem para bellum

No wine for me! -> Don't drink and drive!

People from New Zealand and Australia have an advantage over me: their are native speakers and in companie of buddies

I book in on the website and log my "Will attended" in the listing.

At the moment I wait for a mail, which decided whether I pitch my tent on the campsite before the 2nd. But at least at the evening of the 2nd and 3rd I have company.

Not being a native speaker is not a disadvantage at a mega - I absolutely guarantee that on the campsite you will find someone who speaks your language - and having fun is universal. Us cachers are a happy lot and you will always find friends !
    Si vis pacem para bellum

enjoy yourself - do not worry about meeting people as introduce yourself and start chatting

We will be there as well plus attending Piratemania Mega the week before:socool:

I'm sure you will enjoy the Mega, Kirsten. Book your pitch online, turn up, pitch up, have fun. There will be events going on all week in the surrounding area, where you can join in and meet other cachers. Or you can just sit and chill by your tent if you prefer.

I'll be there all week as I'm Committee, come and say hello - look for my little van:
    GAGB Member since 2009
    UK Mega West Mids Committee - Treasurer 2011 - 2013
    GAGB Committee - Treasurer 2016 -