Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: problems inputting postcodes in geocahing.com

berniew Guest

Help
    I am a complete newb to this game! Everytime I input my postcode into geocaching.com I get a message saying my code was not found on the system. is there a better way of finding caches in Norfolk please? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bernie and welcome.

It's possible that you've got a new postcode which isn't in the system yet, or even an error. The data entry isn't very forgiving, did you leave a space in the standard place ie AB12_3DE?

Alternatively you could use this search facility or (if you've got broadband or don't mind waiting a few minutes) this brilliant interactive map.

Hope you enjoy it.

Dave

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

A little workround if you do have a postcode that doesn't work is to enter the first part, e.g. TQ1, then instead of your real code enter 1AA. So you'd enter TQ1 1AA. That seems to work for most places. I use it sometimes as a quick search when I know the first part for an area. Of course it won't be centred on your area exactly, but it won't be enormously far out.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Another way would be to look up the postcode, or part postcode, or indeed the street address, place name, etc. on www.streetmap.co.uk . Then click on the link in the blue box near the bottom of the screen that says: Click here to convert/measure coordinates. That'll give you the latitude and longitude of your chosen position. You could then search using these values on geocaching.com.

Or of course if you're sat in Norfolk and have a GPS with you, stick your arm out the window to take a reading!

lukehillwalker Guest

Hi. I'm a newbie from Northern Ireland. The postcode facility does not seem to recognise ANY NI postcode :angry: Any ideas why this should be so?

MCL Guest

I'm guessing here, but I would reckon its because Jeremy didn't buy the NI set of postcode data when he bought the rest. Jeremy (the owner of Geocaching.com) has to buy the data from whoever owns it here (probably the Ordnance Survey) and I remember him complaining how damned expensive it was at the time (about a year ago now)

I wouldn't mind betting he unwittingly bought the set that didn't include Northern Ireland, because it would probably have been the cheapest option.

I may be entirely wrong of course.

lukehillwalker Guest

Thanks MCL, I guess you're right. I have , however, found a workround by going to: this site I AM able to input my postcode This might also work for Berniew. (Mods - If I have made a horrible faux pas by referring to another site, please feel free to remove the link :unsure: )
    With regard to the interactive map referred to by the Wombles - cant get that to open either! I have set my security to low, but still it will not load. Any suggestions?
    Luke

lukehillwalker wrote:
    Mods - If I have made a horrible faux pas by referring to another site, please feel free to remove the link
    Links to other sites are fine.

Bill
    Committee member, GAGB
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​