Thanks Thanks:  71
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MOD geocaching policy

Details and timescales about the elections are in section N of the constitution.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

I am amazed that Puzbie got attacked for asking a perfectly reasonable question.

Any update?

I am still more amazed how quickly the maps were drawn considering there was no reviewer input.

An interim letter from the MOD has been received this week. Once the committee have read the content (some are currently on holiday) and raised any questions we will be posting an update. This is unlikely to be until after the Bank Holiday weekend.

The main reason for the delay is due to the MOD wanting to provide accurate mapping. That information is still not complete, but as they are aware that people keep asking the us for an update (they do read the forums and Facebook) they have sent an interim letter.

Graculus has drawn a map based on the information he had/could find but I believe that was only to assist the Groundspeak reviewers identify areas when publishing new caches.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

The map overlay I've drawn up is publicly available in the UK Geocaching Wiki.

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UK Geocaching Wiki
    Geocaching.com Help Center
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    I am amazed that Puzbie got attacked for asking a perfectly reasonable question.

Any update?

I am still more amazed how quickly the maps were drawn considering there was no reviewer input.
    Sorry Tony but as one of the ones posting on this thread I don't read it as an 'attack' with Puzbie - questions were asked and answered.
    I have been away for three days with no internet access and am only just catching up. The MOD have taken time to reply - Maple Leaf has stated the situation as it is at the moment.
    Lilian

The questions were answered in a convoluted and aggressive manner in my opinion.

Maple leaf has answered eventually.

The main response I got to my questions was:

If you think you can do better then stand for election.

Its all water under the bridge, but there for all to see. The thing that concerns me though, is that the committee will be responding to the MOD before updating the GAGB community.

I have seen a couple of posts on the forums, from people who seem genuinely knowledgable of MOD matters and who could, in my opinion at least, make a valid contribution to this issue. To date, their input has not even gone acknowledged, let alone acted on.

Its all very clandestine.

Quote Originally Posted by Graculus View Post
    The map overlay I've drawn up is publicly available in the UK Geocaching Wiki.

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UK Geocaching Wiki
    Geocaching.com Help Center
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website
    In my experience, the UK reviewers use the OSM map for determining MOD land ownership. They will also check on Google Street View, so an area flagged as non MOD land on the map, will be ruled out of bounds if street view shows a sign on it placed by the MOD.

This at least answers the question of whether or not the GAGB wags the tail of the groundspeak dog. The reviewers obviously listen to what GAGB have to say, but act on their own criteria.

This at least answers the question of whether or not the GAGB wags the tail of the groundspeak dog. The reviewers obviously listen to what GAGB have to say, but act on their own criteria.
    Thank you for the insult

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

That wasn't meant to be in any way insulting. I am genuinely perplexed that you managed to take umbrage at that comment.