Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: gps

Default gps

hi could any body give me some advise of which gps to buy and where from. my need to have a biggish screen and not the worlds most expensive thanks mark

Sorry not a techie I have had my Oregon for many years and love it
    All I would say is look on ebay, do some research - I will try to find some links this afternoon as going out soon. Go to a local event and meet some cachers and ask them to show you their GPSs and ask.
    Biggest thing is the price to be honest - lots of all singing all dancing out there now and new ones coming out at £650 - but a lot of long term cachers have long term well battered basic models.
    You could also ask if anyone is upgrading>
    Which area are you from?

Mollyjak S Wales

I'm more than happy with my 2nd hand Garmin Oregon 450. It took a bit of getting used to, coming to it from using the official app on my Android phone, but now I wouldn't be without it.

The biggest screen you'll get is a Garmin Montana which I think is about £300 now, £150 cheaper than when I got mine when it first came out. The Oregon 4xx series is discontinued now that the Oregon 6xx series is out and should have come down in price a fair bit. So I'd say a Garmin Oregon 400 or 450 is your best bet. If the screen isn't big enough then go for a Montana 600. People are often selling their old Oregons. Perhaps try joining a few local geocaching facebook groups and see if anyone has one that they want to shift! :-) It's worth asking around.

Cass
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

One word of warning, if you fancy trying some of the Wherigo caches DO NIT be tempted to get a Garmin GPS 62 series as despite being newer that the earlier Oregons it does not do Wherigo caches

Good point. The Montana and Oregon 600 doesn't support them either. The iPhone and Android apps are pretty good at supporting them though. I did all the wherigos I've found using my phone.
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

The Oregon 550t supports WhereIgo's. I got mine 2nd hand for about £200 with loads of extra bits. For a good comparison of all the GPSs out there search for the Follow the Arrow website. It has a good chart showing the differences and fantastic advice

:socool: