Thanks Thanks:  30

Thread: Chairman Candidates (2013/2014) - Q&A

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chairman Candidates (2013/2014) - Q&A

This forum is an area for members to post questions and the candidates for to answer.

The two candidates are:

• Maple Leaf
    • Puzbie

Their CVs/Manifestos will be posted here
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 23rd October 2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added candidate names
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Congratulations on your nominations, I am delighted to see there will be a properly contested election.

Jen, I have tried to find a copy of last year's manifesto but cannot find it - is it available to refer back to?

Good luck both!

Quote Originally Posted by richlay View Post
    Congratulations on your nominations, I am delighted to see there will be a properly contested election.

Jen, I have tried to find a copy of last year's manifesto but cannot find it - is it available to refer back to?

Good luck both!
    Up until part way through the Chairman elections last year, all posts relating to elections were in the Members forum - so the Chairman manifestos are still in there.

The two candidates for Chairman last year were Maple Leaf & Sandvika. The manifestos are here and the initial Q&A here
    GAGB member since 2005

Can I ask both candidates why they are standing?

:socool:

Quote Originally Posted by Nohope View Post
    Primarily, I want to continue with the things that are currently in progress and to continue to raise the awareness of the GAGB. I don't like leaving a job unfinished!

Having been an active member of the GAGB since I first started geocaching in 2005, I was delighted when in 2010 I was asked if I would stand for committee. Having then spent two years on the committee as Secretary, it was then an honour to be elected as Chairman last year.

I have the knowledge, dedication & commitment to the GAGB to continue in the Chairman role for the coming year.

We are getting a lot of new members who have only just discovered geocaching, which is great, but it is still surprising that there are so many exisiting geocachers that have not heard of the GAGB.

At the WM Mega this year, we had a lot of people to our stand/participated in our map game and several that came to the committee's Q&A sesssion - many who didn't know about GAGB. We need to continue to change that!

My aim of the GAGB10 weekend last summer was to promote the GAGB across the entire country. Despite advertising/requesting cachers to host their own GAGB10 CITO events (and having GAGB10 trackables made) there were only a few events ........ which was a real disappointment. However, those that did attend had a great time and suggested we should do an annual GAGB CITO weekend .... so maybe something for the diary next year.
    GAGB member since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Nohope View Post
    Firstly, I would recommend reading all the CVs which I see have now been posted here.

To summarise why I am standing, my reasons are twofold. Firstly, I wasn't satisfied with how the GAGB handled the MOD affair, and secondly, I would like to see us explore more ways of raising the profile and reputation of both GAGB and geocaching in the UK in general.

I would like to see us explore more ways of raising the profile and reputation of both GAGB and geocaching in the UK in general.[/QUOTE]

Puzbie

Please could you expand your thoughts on your statement and how it could be achieved?

How would you deal with the negativity the GAGB receives from some cachers and how that could be changed to a positive?

martletsman Guest

Another last minute question for Puzbie:

I wonder how often and how many cachers you have met in the past year.

Have you any plans to increase contact with the silent majority that do enter into discussions via threads?

Quote Originally Posted by martletsman View Post
    Another last minute question for Puzbie:

I wonder how often and how many cachers you have met in the past year.

Have you any plans to increase contact with the silent majority that do enter into discussions via threads?
    I've met four, outside of my usual caching friends. I met them in the field, so to speak. The caches I prefer normally involve long walks in the countryside, so its not unusual to find the cache without seeing anybody.

I have not attended any geocaching events up until now, as I've never really had the urge. Were I elected, I would obviously make an effort to attend some, as it would come with the territory. But I see the role mainly as an administrative one. I have nothing against events and the like, but I'm not going to pretend that I am a regular attender, because I am not.

With regards to the silent majority on facebook, I would make it a priority to ensure they are listened to. Currently they aren't.

martletsman Guest

Thank you for the reply.
    To my embarrassment I left a word out of my question.

Should have been

Have you any plans to increase contact with the silent majority that do NOTenter into discussions via threads?
    Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzbie View Post
    I have not attended any geocaching events up until now, as I've never really had the urge. Were I elected, I would obviously make an effort to attend some, as it would come with the territory. But I see the role mainly as an administrative one. I have nothing against events and the like, but I'm not going to pretend that I am a regular attender, because I am not.
    To clarify - you would be prepared to travel to events to stand and talk to members of the GAGB and potential members who may have just discovered Geocaching?

There has been a GAGB stand manned by the Chairman and current Committee members for at least five of the annual roving mega events and the GAGB trackable banner has been at the last two Piratemania events spreading the word - as well as a number of smaller events.
    During the mega this year at Gaydon - five Committee members were able to attend, man the stand, spread the word and take part with one of the organised talks led by the present Chairman.

Would you be able to be the 'Face' for the GAGB to promote and organise when needed?

Thanks for the replies both. Both give an insight into where you stand. One final question from me.

I am a member of the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) which in many ways has a similar role to the GAGB, albeit with a paid membership and some salaried officers. However, a great deal of local work is done by voluntary regional committees. Is there a case for the GAGB to utilise a similar model to ensure that regional issues (landowner permissions) are dealt with effectively and local cachers have better opportunities to interact with elected officers?

Quote Originally Posted by matty1984 View Post
    ... However, a great deal of local work is done by voluntary regional committees. Is there a case for the GAGB to utilise a similar model to ensure that regional issues (landowner permissions) are dealt with effectively and local cachers have better opportunities to interact with elected officers?
    That's an interesting idea, and one I don't remember hearing proposed for GAGB before. It may well be worth exploring.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

As admin on Nottinghamshire Geocachers Facebook group I organise a lot of events locally and would welcome either candidate to come and talk at one of our events so that the good work of the GAGB could be publicised more. I know that Maple Leaf has done this is the past, would you be willing to do the same Puzbie?

Thanks for the replies both. Both give an insight into where you stand. One final question from me.

I am a member of the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) which in many ways has a similar role to the GAGB, albeit with a paid membership and some salaried officers. However, a great deal of local work is done by voluntary regional committees. Is there a case for the GAGB to utilise a similar model to ensure that regional issues (landowner permissions) are dealt with effectively and local cachers have better opportunities to interact with elected officers?
    The current committee are very well spread across the country which has been helpful this year as we have been able to deal with regional things (Bobo Frett has done a few promotional geocaching visits - some local and some further a field) and for the GAGB10 events. It has also been useful as far as mixing socially with other cachers - physically and facebook - and being able to spread the word, and answer questions, about the GAGB through their caching friends.

However, to answer Matty1984's question. If we don't have a committee member in a specific area (or even if we do), then I don't see any reason why we can't utilise any members that wish to be come involved (and possibly interested in joining the committee in the future). There are aleady geocachers that coordinate the cache placements/permissions/waiting list in a couple of areas e.g. DizzyPair with the NewForest caches.

We have in the past offered support/advise for geocachers who are going for meetings with their local landowners regarding permission etc.

We have asked for help amongst the members if we get a request for something that we aren't able to deal with ourselves (usually due to location/time commitments) e.g. BBC Radio Northampton several months and more recently Radio 4 Open Country - both these were put in touch with the Mega Halloween team - so I suppose we already are utilising the members around the country.
    GAGB member since 2005

That is certainly something worth considering. I certainly favour a decentralised approach to land permissions, and I think that currently there is a distinct lack of communication between the committee and ordinary members, at least online.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post
    To clarify - you would be prepared to travel to events to stand and talk to members of the GAGB and potential members who may have just discovered Geocaching?

There has been a GAGB stand manned by the Chairman and current Committee members for at least five of the annual roving mega events and the GAGB trackable banner has been at the last two Piratemania events spreading the word - as well as a number of smaller events.
    During the mega this year at Gaydon - five Committee members were able to attend, man the stand, spread the word and take part with one of the organised talks led by the present Chairman.

Would you be able to be the 'Face' for the GAGB to promote and organise when needed?
    If elected I certainly wouldn't spend every weekend travelling to events. I'm not even going to claim anything remotely like that. If the chair's appearance at a multitude of events is important to you as a member of GAGB, then you should vote for Maple Leaf. I am not putting words into her mouth, but she does seem to make a lot of effort on this front, and I will be concentrating mostly on sorting out the administrative issues mentioned in my CV. I will obviously be expected to attend some events, as I said, it goes with the territory.
    Last edited by Puzbie; 4th November 2013 at 07:35 AM.