Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Evenin' Folks

Default Evenin' Folks

Hello everyone! I'm Pete and live in a sleepy little village in Derbyshire called Sawley.
    I discovered the whole Geocaching thing just over a week ago, purely by accident and was immediately hooked. A great excuse to get out and about and, as I work away quite a lot, a hobby that I can take with me when I go!
    Just purchased a Garmin GPSmap 62s after reading a heap of reviews about loads of different GPSr units and I'm finding it really easy to use (now that I have worked out the menu system) and I am having a whale of a time.
    I look forward to meeting you all in the forums. :cheers:

Welcome to an addictive world!
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

Hello and welcome.

Just ask if you have any questions - it can be a steep learning curve, but we were all newbies once.

If you are a Facebook user, then worth checking out the GAGB group which is more active than the forums these days. It also has a document (File tab) which details the regional groups. There is a very active group in the Midlands (GeM) and they hold regular events.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Thanks guys. :socool:
    I do have a Friendface account but to be fair, don't use it that much. I am at the age where "Victor Meldrew Syndrome" is upon me with all this social networking stuff. I am beginning to turn into my Dad. :lol: I have already had a brief scoot around the groups but will have another visit.
    As for it being addictive, I know! I have spent hours this past week looking at cache maps and Google Maps, watching videos and reading forums. I think I may need to give up my job to make time for it. :lol:

Hi and welcome. We aren't too far away from you and go through Sawley often, we are in Nottingham. There is also a new group Nottinghamshire Geocachers on the old FB site so you can always ask to join that as well.

We have lots of events planned so keep an eye open on the GC site to see what's coming up. Would be good to meet you and then you will see a load more addicts together.

Thanks Jacaru. The Doctors Surgery is looking like a good possibility. The GeM birthday bash might have been good, but I will be working overnight in Manchester the night before, so will probably be a bit early for me.
    I'll catch up with you all at one of the events before too long though. :cheers: