Thanks Thanks:  0

View Poll Results: Do you geocache with kids?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - Never

6 23.08%
  • Yes - sometimes

16 61.54%
  • Yes - all the time

4 15.38%

Thread: Geocaching with kids or on your own?

Default Geocaching with kids or on your own?

Hi - interested to know how many of us are taking the kids along?

My child is 35 - he has come caching with us and to events - although camping events he really enjoys LOL maybe something to do with the alcohol

I do not have any children of my own and feel conspicuous enough being a middle age man on my own loitering in strange places without asking children if they want to join me LOL
    "You keep finding them, I'll keep hiding them."

Kids often look less suspicious rooting in the undergrowth whilst the adults stand back.

Along the lines of sending Victorian children up chimneys, they are also handy for trees and large pipes.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I don't have any personally though but I'm thinking of taking my young cousin when he gets a litle bit older

Thanks
    Dominic

We have 2 children aged 10&13 that cache with us most times we cache. We also have lots of other children that cache with us such as friends and family. Youngest is 3 now and we always love caching with them. With such a great variety of caches and a good imagination, caching can be great fun and enhance the curious and explorer part in children.
    Eg in young children you can even locate the cache then do a 'can you find the tree, post box or where's the gate' kind of approach to help guide them to the cache and playing the hotter and colder game as they try find it.

I was approached by a reporter who was referred to me asking if there were any groups specific to support families who cache with children.
    Only 2 came up in the search and they were in foreign languages. This led to me setting up a new facebook group called 'Geocaching with Children'.

The aim being to offer support, advice and tips and info to those of us who cache with children as a parent, carer, family or friend. I am surprised at the reception it has had so quickly too.

I think caching with children is so wonderful for many reasons, but they are also another generation of cachers
    It's also good that older children enjoy caching too, as it gives them something interesting and fun to do. Children / teenagers appear to often invite their friends along too
    "Defeat may test you; It need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another way. For every obstacle, there is a solution. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. The greatest mistake is giving up."
    Author Unknown :socool:

I have a 4 year old and a 23 month old and cache in various combinations with or without them

Most of my family are not as enthusiastic about caching as I am, though one of my sons has his own accounts on a couple of the caching sites, and he accompanies me on difficult terrain adventures.

Thanks for replying - agree with everything. Seems like GC made for kids, but not many groups. Just started one in Herts on facebook (/groups/HertsGeocaching/) so hopefully will be able to linkup with more people. Will look for yours.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonPhoenix View Post
    Thanks for replying - agree with everything. Seems like GC made for kids, but not many groups. Just started one in Herts on facebook (/groups/HertsGeocaching/) so hopefully will be able to linkup with more people. Will look for yours.
    Simon
    cachewalker.co.uk is worth taking a look at too, having some members around that area.

My 15 year old Son has recently started his Duke of Edinburgh (Bronze) award and has been allowed to do geocaching as his 6 month long activity. I can now say that I'm going geocaching with my kid rather than the kids coming with me! We did Mapleleaf's event / walk up, round and down Cheddar Gorge last weekend which was fantastic and good for his training

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I myself am a teen cacher. I always go with my dad as he can drive and helps find the cache