Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: CHIRPS, how to use them?

Default CHIRPS, how to use them?

Hi guys, I have just got my first Chirp Chip and was hoping to use it for a Multi in the local area, as a test piece for further such caches.

However I was hoping to put a grand description of the next cache, and how to find all the bits necessary, and even suitable parking area.
    It appears that the only info I can put is limited to about 8 words, so not what I thought I could put. ... that's problem 1.

The second problem is that where I intend to hide the Chirp, If I walk past with the GPS, it does not lock on and sometimes I have waited for 20 minutes for that to happen.
    If I switch the GPS Off then back On, it usually finds it straight away. Has anyone any similar experiences. Surely that is not the way to do it.

With the limited amount of info which can be put, I was wondering what use are these devices, a good sheet of A4 in the first cache may be better.

I've only found 1 chirp cache and that worked fine. I think the radius for the signal is only a few 10's of feet. I'm guessing from your comment about the limitations on describing the chirp means you've read the article in the Help Center. Mentioning that the chirp is made by Garmin means it breaches the commercial guidelines.

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UK Geocaching Wiki
    Geocaching.com Help Center
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

On the not finding the chirp signal problem....

You have to have 'chirp searching' switched On,
    But do you also need...
    To go into 'Geocaching', and select 'find nearest geo-cache'?

I tried finding one in Clocaneog Forest, but it didn't appear.

We (saza36) do own a chirp cache but the chirp only gives the final location of GZ. As stated, chirp needs to be enabled and the firmware in the garmin device must be recent enough to support chirp devices - the early Oregons original firmware did not. We have never had problems reported and if can be accessed a good 30 feet away. We put full details on the cache page and invited those without chirp enabled devices to email us for the final location instead. This was in that sense more a chance for people to test their gps devices. See GC2KMRM
    GAGB Webmaster
    GAGB Chair 2021-2023
    GAGB Committee 2020-2024
    GAGB Member since 2013
    UK Mega Committee 2013