Thanks Thanks:  37

Thread: Candidates for 2013/2014 Committee elections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Candidates for 2013/2014 Committee elections

This thread is for the CV/Manifestos of the candidates and will be locked.

There is a discussion and Q&A forum here

The 13 candidates standing in the 2013/2014 Chairman elections are (in alphabetical order):

• *Geocass* (Cass Flowers)
    • abiherts (Abigail Hamilton-Thompson)
    • AngoranBob (Colin Thurlbourn)
    • Cache on Wheels (Heather Bull)
    • countrymatters (Terry Marsh)
    • daddyanddude (Dax Wood)
    • Fudgeman (Andy Packer)
    • JackieC (Jackie Catterall)
    • mollyak (Lilian Maund)
    • Poole_Man (Paul Weaver)
    • Richlay (Richard Lay)
    • Sharant (Sharon Reid)
    • ukcachemag (Adam Redshaw)

The election of the eight Committee places Chairman will be by SurveyMonkey email ballot between Friday 22/11/13 and Saturday 30/11/13 and will be run by Ladybug Kids (Michael Malvick) who is serving as our Independent Returning Officer.

Each eligible GAGB member (prior to 1st Oct) will be able to cast a maximum of 8 votes (as per constitution section N10).

Last edited by Maple Leaf; 15th November 2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added candidate names
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Default CV/Manifesto for Cass Flowers/*geocass*

CV/Manifesto for Cass Flowers/*geocass*

I'm Cass, *geocass*. I've been caching since March 2010, but in that time have found nearly 13,000 caches! I've maintained a Geocaching blog for most of that time (http://geocass.wordpress.com) which has many readers and subscribers. I enjoy long walks on big caching series, but also try to hunt out those individual caches which will provide a great adventure. I've contributed a lot of these caching adventures and photos to the GAGB Seeker magazines.

I've been on the GAGB committee for the past two years. During this time I've taken on the role of website administrator and have built a really good knowledge of how the existing site functions. Part of my role this year included updating and patching the back-end software for the site, monitoring and (Successfully!) preventing attempted hacking attacks which were causing huge performance issues, and writing code to improve forum user registration to help prevent spam and bogus user registrations. I work full time in IT as a Systems Administrator, which includes the management of a few web servers as well. I'm a self confessed geek and very proud of that fact! I'm also studying a part-time Master Degree in Computer Security and Forensics. Although this is massively eating into my free time it includes a big focus on website security which has already helped in my role as web admin. I'd like to continue supporting the site and its users as I feel that I have the technical skill set required, and most importantly I feel that the GAGB is a great asset to the UK caching communtity so I want to help.

A long-term project whilst on the committee has been to redesign the current website. I've already spent about 200 hours working on customisations for it, however as it involves a lot of custom code has needed a lot more time than I initially estimated. I'd like to stay on the committee to continue this design and development as I think I'm very close to releasing the new site.

I do still deeply believe that the GAGB is beneficial to Geocaching in the UK and I would like to continue helping it develop, so please vote for me.

Geocaching.com Profile
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 15th November 2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Added links

Default CV/Manifesto for Abigail Hamilton-Thompson/Abiherts

CV/Manifesto for Abigail Hamilton-Thompson/Abiherts

I started geocaching in 2008 but have more recently got into the hobby and am hoping to attain my first thousand before the year is out. I have attended several events including the Geolympix and cached with a wide range of people.

I am a carer for my husband so have plenty of free time to offer the GAGB, I am a voracious reader and love researching information while suffering an addiction to my email. Although my statistics show that I may not have much experience within the caching community, I spend a lot of time reading and participating within the Facebook groups, the Groundspeak forum and fellow cachers’ own blogs. In the past I have written several articles about geocaching for national magazines and newspapers, hopefully recruiting a few new members and spreading awareness of our hobby.

I would like to improve the image of the GAGB and be readily available as a point of contact whenever needed. I have provided advice to fellow cachers at the drop of a hat and would like to expand upon this as much as I can. I may not have much web or editorial experience but I do have excellent organisational and secretarial skills; and if voted onto the committee I will play a positive role within the GAGB using all of the above to help raise the profile of the association while assisting each and every individual cacher.

Thank you for reading and happy caching!

Abiherts

Geocaching.com Profile
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 15th November 2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added links

Default CV/Manifesto for Colin Thurlbourn/AngoranBob

CV/Manifesto for Colin Thurlbourn/AngoranBob

My name is Colin Thurlbourn, aka AngoranBob and I am currently based in Berkshire, although my job means I travel around the South of England.

I have been Geocaching for just over a year, having been introduced to it by friends whilst on holiday in Portugal. My excitement at finding an old film canister in the crook of a tree was surprising and upon returning to the UK, I wanted to find some more.

I am not a prolific Geocacher, and sadly failed to reach my target of an average of one per day for my first year, but I enjoy it nonetheless and have made efforts to spread the word within my group of friends and work colleagues.

For some time, I have wanted to offer my services to a worthy cause and utilise my skills for something other than working for my current employer Siemens. When I saw that there were upcoming elections for the GAGB I realised that I had found something that I not only enjoyed doing and had an interest in but also gave me an opportunity to apply my skills in a different way.

I would relish the opportunity to work on the GAGB committee, help in the coming year to make more Geocachers aware of its existence and to help them understand the function it performs and how it can assist and support the casual and experienced Geocacher. I believe that the GAGB can perform a very useful function for Geocachers in Great Britain but more needs to be done to make cachers aware of its presence, the role it can play and the support it can offer.

I believe that I can offer a number of skills to the GAGB Committee and its members. As an Account Manager for 10 years, I have experience in working with and managing a team, as well as taking on significant responsibility for staff and customers. I believe I can offer support to Geocachers of all ages and capabilities to better understand their responsibilities. In addition, I have good financial acumen supported by a degree in Mathematics, skills I would welcome the opportunity to utilise within the Committee to develop a long term strategy and to develop greater fund-raising opportunities.

Recently in my role I have had the opportunity to work with some schools in London and would like to develop this further and explore how the GAGB can work with educational establishments to promote the positive aspects of Geocaching in schools and other institutions.

Thank you for taking the time to read my CV.

Geocaching.com Profile
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 15th November 2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added photo

Default CV/Manifesto for Heather Bull/Cache on Wheels

CV/Manifesto for Heather Bull/Cache on Wheels

Many thanks to those who have supported me and nominated me to stand for election for the GAGB committee.

To introduce myself: I am 37, married and have 2 beautiful children. We are all very keen geocachers, hiding and finding, all with our own accounts.

I am competent using a computer and have good IT skills.

Our geocaching journeys and adventures have taken us to many countries in Europe.
    We enjoyed meeting other cachers in Germany at 2 events, in the summer, one of which we arranged as a family. We then organised an event to welcome a caching family from Germany that we had met who were on holiday locally. We gained a lot of experience and knowledge in many ways of the GC world, whilst caching abroad, including overcoming the language barriers and the fun and interesting way of some computer translators, and learning about local cultures and history.
    Whilst on holiday, at events in Germany, there were many cachers who were very interested in the GAGB, it was great to be able to share information with them about GAGB and point them to the website.

I had a Military upbringing and lived in Germany for 10 years.
    So it's no surprise, nor coincidence I think, that the jobs I've had since leaving school were linked to the MOD.

One of my first experiences of being part of a committee was when I joined the Parochial Church Council (PCC) of my local church. Up until April this year, I served on the PCC for 6 years including 2 years representing the PCC at Deanery Synod.

Since my children were young, I have served on the school Association / Parent Groups and am a member of the Parent Forum for my local Middle School where my son attends.

I am in my 2nd year as a member of the Patient Participation Group for my local Dr's Surgery.

Through being involved on the various committees and courses I have completed, I have gained a vast amount of knowledge and understanding in many aspects of life and organisations. eg what goes on in the background, what is involved in creating, exploring and implementing ideas, concepts, and gained a bigger understanding of how committees work. I have also developed a greater understanding about myself, and identifying my gifts, talents, aspirations and areas in my life where I wish to further develop.

I have the ability to work well with others and am also confident with taking the lead and working off my own initiative where appropriate.
    I have gained experience of representing communities and an understanding of issues relating to a small percentage, within the community with people of all ages and abilities.

I am always keen to learn, I am open minded and enjoy learning about other peoples ideas and perspectives.

Geocaching has different meanings for each person, which can change day to day, or over a period of time. I love how GC is accessible to people of all ages and abilities.
    For many years, I have learned to come to terms with the restrictions imposed upon me from various illnesses and accidents. I am empathetic to others who are faced with changes in their abilities. Geocaching has made a huge difference to my life, and helps in so many ways, especially enjoying spending time with my family, exploring our surroundings and working together having fun.

As a disabled cacher, I see things from a different perspective, for me and others, with the additional challenges it presents. I am passionate about supporting others in any way I can.
    I like to offer feedback to cache owners about disabled access to their cache where appropriate, and I am happy to report that most cache owners have been very supportive in adding extra information to their cache pages, to make it easier for disabled cachers.

I would like to work with GAGB to develop support to other cachers and cache owners to include good and practical information for disabled cachers. This will also be beneficial to people who cache with youngsters and using a buggy and people with reduced mobility.
    I would like to work with the GAGB and the geocaching community to see the GAGB move forward, grow and develop to become a familiar name to all cachers, new and existing. I would like to see GAGB as a place where all cachers feel they can approach for support and guidance in all aspects of caching.

I have hosted 3 events, 2 CITOs: At my first event, we helped create a native wildlife garden: this has been dubbed 'Cachers Corner'. The place was "purpose-built accessible accommodation for those who are disabled". The other was to support the Dorset Wildlife Trust. We also hosted the meet as mentioned above with all being accessible for all ages and abilities.

I feel I can bring all the above skills and more to GAGB as a member of the committee if I am elected. I am always happy to help in any way I can.

from Heather Bull

Geocaching.com Profile

Default CV/Manifesto for Terry Marsh/countrymatters

CV/Manifesto for Terry Marsh/countrymatters

During the time I have served as a Committee member, I have been primarily concerned with developing and editing the magazine, Seeker, which often earns praise from members for its content. What I offer now is more of the same, but in the hope of also making the magazine increasingly useful to all who read it.

As a committee member, I try to contribute to general discussions and decision-making, even though work and academic commitments limit the amount of free time I have available.

At a wider level, I regularly attend geocaching events, and have organised a number of regional events myself, one of which – the walk across Morecambe Bay – has been especially popular. I have been instrumental in developing the extent of geocaching on the Isle of Skye, where I also organise an event each April. As I write this, I am working with tourism organisations and landowners on the island of Mull to develop geocaching, and to make the island of greater interest to geocachers from the UK and across Europe.

If re-elected, I look forward to working with my colleagues to develop the role of the GAGB as a national organisation that represents geocaching in the UK.

Geocaching.com Profile