Thanks Thanks:  22

Thread: Question 6 (Advice for new cachers)

Default Question 6 (Advice for new cachers)

What one piece of advice would candidates give to a new cacher looking for help?
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 17th November 2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Expanded title

Ask for it. There are many wonderful people that play our game and loads of experience amongst them. I've barely met anyone that is unwilling to help someone that asks for support.

Whenever I see a new cacher log one of my hides I send them a note advising them just the same.

My motto is "if in doubt, shout!".
    Like richlay, I also message new cachers to say hi and point them to the local group page (and GAGB of course!) and that I hope to meet them at an event soon.

Just one of the reasons I'm known as Auntie Jackie in Scottish geocaching circles :lol:
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett

Quote Originally Posted by Saints1 View Post
    What one piece of advice would candidates give to a new cacher looking for help?
    As above, I also message cachers who are new to caching that do my caches, or I meet. I thank them for doing my cache and invite them to message me if they would like any support or information on caching, useful sites or upcoming events.

I was very pleased on one occasion when I received a reply from a local couple, and they attended an event and I got to meet them
    "Defeat may test you; It need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another way. For every obstacle, there is a solution. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. The greatest mistake is giving up."
    Author Unknown :socool:

I would always recommend going to an event or two. They get to meet a broad range of cachers who they can ask questions. This lets them make new friends whilst expanding their knowledge and they will often pick up a mentor or two while there.
    Last edited by Fudgeman; 18th November 2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Grammatical error

Join the GAGB, and ask questions.
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

My advice would be to go to an event and introduce themselves to the event organiser.

The first event has to be one of the most frightening things ever. You sit in the corner seeing lots greeting others with hugs ( or cwtchs in Wales) and shaking hands and everyone knows everyone. You know no-one. Hopefully the event organiser takes you around and you get a chance to put a name to a caching name to a face and start chatting
    Now you can start asking questions to cachers from your local area, ask for advice, hints for the DNFs. You will meet a few and then think 'That wasn't so bad after all' - When's the next event??? LOL

And friendships are made.

my advice is to ask, everyone in the hobby is willing to give advice, join the local F.B group and to attend a few events put names to faces and most of all have FUN...

I advise new cachers to have fun.
    The best way to learn is to join a local facebook group or forum and take the plunge and attend a local event. Cachers are a friendly bunch and willing to help and show new cachers the ropes, just ask.

I'd say attend an event and meet some local cachers. I really like the social side of caching and you can meet some really lovely people. As everyone at the event is a cacher you have that common interest so it's easy to make conversation with people you've only just met and have a good old chin wag!
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

I would give people an idea of the dirrent styles of caching that are out, and how you can mix and match...

you many be more into extreme caches one month, in the summer you may like the nice circular walks in the winter you like to go to events and stay in warm

you may like to just do a bit on holiday or you me go for a streak - do it your was as it is your "hobby2 or should that be sport?

I've frequently contacted new cachers who've accidentally double logged, forgotten to log trackables or just struggled with something or other. I also encourage them to attend nearby events and join the local FB groups.

In addition to my previous answer, some cachers, new and experienced I've chatted with are not interested in attending events or meets and some don't have facebook accounts either.

However, they have asked where they can source information.
    I invite them to contact me anytime if they would like to

I point them to Geocaching.com, gagb website. I also point them to this site where there's a wealth of brilliant info and support about technology and all things geocaching suitable for newbies and the established cacher set up and ran by Chris I use it quite a lot myself too
    I've always found Chris very approachable and helpful
    http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/re.../default.shtml
    "Defeat may test you; It need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another way. For every obstacle, there is a solution. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. The greatest mistake is giving up."
    Author Unknown :socool:

Thank you for all your replies. I thank those candidates who answered the question I asked - the one piece of advice you would give.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints1 View Post
    I am sorry I just noticed that I didn't answer this question but here is my answer:

I would say come to a local event and meet with more experienced Cachers who can help you with advice and may be take you out geocaching with them.