Thanks Thanks:  15
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Question for candidates (Regional Facebook groups)

  1. #1

    Default Question for candidates (Regional Facebook groups)

    I admin Nottinghamshire Geocachers on Facebook. We are a closed group to Nottinghamshire residents only, but would welcome a GAGB committee member aboard to feedback to us once a month on what has been happening within the GAGB during the month and to promote the organisation to our group. Would you, as a committee member, be willing to do this?
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 17th November 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Expanded title

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    I admin Nottinghamshire Geocachers on Facebook. We are a closed group to Nottinghamshire residents only, but would welcome a GAGB committee member aboard to feedback to us once a month on what has been happening within the GAGB during the month and to promote the organisation to our group. Would you, as a committee member, be willing to do this?
    Yes I would.

    I quote from my own CV/Manifesto:

    "There are many Geocaching related groups in the UK and many of which are based on a smaller geographic basis than GAGB is. Some of these smaller groups are currently listed on the GAGB website but I would work using my online networking skills to form links with the many other groups that exist that are not yet listed ensuring a two way system of exchange of information."

    Also where these groups are listed and there is no actual two way communication I would set out to form such communications.

    Paul
    Last edited by Poole_Man; 16th November 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added a sentance

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Lothian, Scotland
    Posts
    228

    Default

    If thats what the group want then I've got no problem with putting a monthly update on a facebook group.

    Some months may have more news than others, and most of the group will have probably seen it on the GAGB pages already, but a set update is a nice way to keep everyone informed. I know I miss lots of posts on facebook, so having a summary would be good.

    Saying that I'd only put it on group pages by invitiation only, I really dont want to be spamming groups in the name of the GAGB.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    I admin Nottinghamshire Geocachers on Facebook. We are a closed group to Nottinghamshire residents only, but would welcome a GAGB committee member aboard to feedback to us once a month on what has been happening within the GAGB during the month and to promote the organisation to our group. Would you, as a committee member, be willing to do this?
    Absolutely. Although at the moment I am only a member of caching groups where I am likely to cache, I think communication is one of the main issues that is holding the organisation back so I would absolutely be happy to do that.

  5. #5

    Default

    The regional geocaching forums and facebook groups are where most geocachers check frequently so a monthly update on GAGB news on those sites that the moderators agree to would be a good way to keep cachers informed. But some of the groups have very few posts so the GAGB would not want to spam without the agreement of the admin owners.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Porthcawl S Wales
    Posts
    481

    Default

    I am in a few regional groups and usually 'pop' into them to catch up with friends . I would be more than happy to report to any FB group which requested an update and the chance to promote the GAGB when needed. However with the GAGB group and recent addition of the GAGB page we do hope to reach more of the geocaching community to disseminate information.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post
    I am in a few regional groups and usually 'pop' into them to catch up with friends . I would be more than happy to report to any FB group which requested an update and the chance to promote the GAGB when needed. However with the GAGB group and recent addition of the GAGB page we do hope to reach more of the geocaching community to disseminate information.
    For some strange reason the GAGB website doesn't currently use the Facebook and Twitter graphics on its home page that are provided to promote the use of a website to the users of these services by an individual, organizations or businesses.

    It is also possible to integrate a web widget(1) in to any website which provide an over view of the activity within the Facebook and Twitter accounts without the need to actually go to those websites. I am not sure the reasoning behind this but if GAGB wants to increase its profile on the social network systems that they use it is very important to use all recognized methods to do so.

    An additional benefit would be to make it easier for someone to join the Facebook and Twitter accounts from the GAGB website. Currently the reference to the Facebook and Twitter accounts is by a text link only and does not use the easily recognized Facebook and Twitter logos which many people tend to be familiar with.

    The Facebook and Twitter graphics are provided so they both can be used in a lawful way, without breaking copyright, branding rules and any multiple of other business laws.

    Paul

    (1) In computing, a web widget is a software widget for the web. It's a small application with limited functionality that can be installed and executed within a web page by an end user. A widget has the role of a transient or auxiliary application, meaning that it just occupies a portion of a webpage and does something useful with information fetched from other websites and displayed in place. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_widget)

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Porthcawl S Wales
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poole_Man View Post
    For some strange reason the GAGB website doesn't currently use the Facebook and Twitter graphics on its home page that are provided to promote the use of a website to the users of these services by an individual, organizations or businesses.

    It is also possible to integrate a web widget(1) in to any website which provide an over view of the activity within the Facebook and Twitter accounts without the need to actually go to those websites. I am not sure the reasoning behind this but if GAGB wants to increase its profile on the social network systems that they use it is very important to use all recognized methods to do so.

    An additional benefit would be to make it easier for someone to join the Facebook and Twitter accounts from the GAGB website. Currently the reference to the Facebook and Twitter accounts is by a text link only and does not use the easily recognized Facebook and Twitter logos which many people tend to be familiar with.

    The Facebook and Twitter graphics are provided so they both can be used in a lawful way, without breaking copyright, branding rules and any multiple of other business laws.

    Paul

    (1) In computing, a web widget is a software widget for the web. It's a small application with limited functionality that can be installed and executed within a web page by an end user. A widget has the role of a transient or auxiliary application, meaning that it just occupies a portion of a webpage and does something useful with information fetched from other websites and displayed in place. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_widget)


    Sorry but this is WAYYYYYY too techie and complicated for me

    but I would be happy to join Nottinghamshire Geocachers as Jacaru the OP asked.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post
    Sorry but this is WAYYYYYY too techie and complicated for me

    but I would be happy to join Nottinghamshire Geocachers as Jacaru the OP asked.
    Sorry about that I forget sometimes that everyone is not as aware of the technical bit behind the websites as others.

    The simple question I should have asked is why don't GAGB use the Twitter and Facebook logos to highlight the information about those resources that GAGB use on its own website?

    And also why doesn't GAGB use the available systems to display content from GAGB Twitter and Facebook accounts on the GAGB website?

    Paul

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Christchurch, Dorset
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I'm a member on several of the Facebook groups as I tend to add them when I'm heading in that direction. It's a great way of interacting with cachers in the area. I would be very happy to join other Facebook groups and give regular feedback on GAGB activities if that's what the group wanted. I would shy away from linking groups to a direct feed as this may overload the group and put people off. I think a short synopsis is all that is needed to keep people informed and they can then ask questions on what interests them or go to the GAGB site for further information.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Porthcawl S Wales
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poole_Man View Post
    Sorry about that I forget sometimes that everyone is not as aware of the technical bit behind the websites as others.

    The simple question I should have asked is why don't GAGB use the Twitter and Facebook logos to highlight the information about those resources that GAGB use on its own website?

    And also why doesn't GAGB use the available systems to display content from GAGB Twitter and Facebook accounts on the GAGB website?

    Paul

    But this isn't what Jacaru asked!!!! This may be something that the new elected Committee will discuss - as I have said way past my ability - just as well we are all different.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Mendips, Somerset
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poole_Man View Post
    For some strange reason the GAGB website doesn't currently use the Facebook and Twitter graphics on its home page that are provided to promote the use of a website to the users of these services by an individual, organizations or businesses.

    It is also possible to integrate a web widget(1) in to any website which provide an over view of the activity within the Facebook and Twitter accounts without the need to actually go to those websites. I am not sure the reasoning behind this but if GAGB wants to increase its profile on the social network systems that they use it is very important to use all recognized methods to do so.

    An additional benefit would be to make it easier for someone to join the Facebook and Twitter accounts from the GAGB website. Currently the reference to the Facebook and Twitter accounts is by a text link only and does not use the easily recognized Facebook and Twitter logos which many people tend to be familiar with.

    The Facebook and Twitter graphics are provided so they both can be used in a lawful way, without breaking copyright, branding rules and any multiple of other business laws.

    Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Poole_Man View Post
    Sorry about that I forget sometimes that everyone is not as aware of the technical bit behind the websites as others.

    The simple question I should have asked is why don't GAGB use the Twitter and Facebook logos to highlight the information about those resources that GAGB use on its own website?

    And also why doesn't GAGB use the available systems to display content from GAGB Twitter and Facebook accounts on the GAGB website?

    Paul
    Twitter feed is something that Cass has already integrated into the new website - as per the screenshot of one of the pages in Seeker issue 15.

    We did discuss including Facebook but as at that time we only had the Facebook group, it was felt that it shouldn't be included. However, now that we also have the Facebook PAGE, it is something that will be added.

    The new website also has the Facebook & Twitter logos and links.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)


  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Dorset, UK
    Posts
    339

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    I admin Nottinghamshire Geocachers on Facebook. We are a closed group to Nottinghamshire residents only, but would welcome a GAGB committee member aboard to feedback to us once a month on what has been happening within the GAGB during the month and to promote the organisation to our group. Would you, as a committee member, be willing to do this?
    Thank you for your question.

    I would be more than happy to post a monthly update on individual groups as they require.
    Maybe one thing GAGB could consider is that 1 monthly update is complied, posted on the GAGB site, then a link to that could be posted to this on groups who welcome an update monthly. This will ensure consistency of the update too.

    I would be more thank happy to do this - I think outreach to other groups and making the most of social networking groups is very important, as is, getting the balance right and not producing information overload.
    I also think it is important to make better use of the geocaching social network CacheFace too, in raising GAGBs profile.

    With your question in mind: I think once the new committee has been formed, one of the members could message the individual groups asking if they would be happy to have a monthly update. Would this be down to the group Admins to decide or would the group admins be prepared to put a vote question on their groups?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Essex,UK
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Sure thing! Of course if that's what the admins want. Many regions have their own Facebook groups so if admins on those groups want such things then perhaps the new committee can be "assigned" a few groups to keep up to date divided so that the committee members who live closest to those areas are the ones that spread the word as they will be most familiar with the members, regional events and caches that are discussed in the groups.
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I am a member of a number of Facebook geocaching groups and would be happy to add a monthly update to any group who wished for this data to be added. I think a large number of geocachers are on Facebook and this would be a great way to promote the GAGB's profile and reach out to more people who might not already know about the association.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •