Thanks Thanks:  15

Thread: Question for candidates - Geocaching, a sport or a hobby?

Default Question for candidates - Geocaching, a sport or a hobby?

I have heard some people call Geocaching a sport and others call it a hobby.

Would the candidates please give their views about Geocaching being a sport or a hobby?

If the candidates think Geocaching is a sport should it have proper recognition from bodies such as UK Sports(1) if this would help to promote Geocaching in Great Britain?

Thanks for your responses.

(1) UK Sports is responsible for promoting and supporting sport across the UK. Provides information on sporting activities and initiatives being undertaken by the agency.

I think Geocaching is a hobby.

A sport is defined as something where an individual (or team) competes against another, and geocaching has no official method of 'competing'.

OK we have league tables, we have FTF races and then there is the whole numbers game, but geocaching is not based around a competition structure.

So personally I wouldn't try to promote geocaching as a sport.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett

I don't see geocaching as a sport and wouldn't promote it as such. Calling it a sport implies that cachers compete against others of equal abilities where in reality geocaching is a hobby for all abilities and interests.

Some people go for long walks finding lots of caches while others are happy to do a walk of the same distance for only one or two caches. Some do it to keep fit and others to get out and meet people. There are those that like to scare themselves a little by going for caches up trees or off bridges and others who either don't want to or aren't physically able to.

The beauty of this hobby is that there is something for everyone.

It is whatever you want it to be. There are some that play the game in such a way that it is definitely a sport to them and that is great. But as there still remains a huge debate over whether darts is a sport or game, I think we are a long way off this becoming relevant.

interesting question ... I would call it a hobby but it does tick a lot of boxes to be a sport (however I don't think it will become an Olympic event any time soon) geocaching has so many facets to the game that people play in there own way. if we are looking to define it to try to get support through some one like sport England then that's not the way forward.

It has elements of both. I promote it as the fastest growing leisure pursuit in the world. But it is what you want it to be. FTF sharks make it a competition; the rest of us just go and find caches.
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

It's a hobby for me.

A hobby I can do when I choose and how I choose. It can be 'played' at so many levels in whichever way you wish.

I think Geocaching is a hobby, but what is great about geocaching is that it means different things for everyone. Some cachers just collect FTF's, some just cache on holiday, other enjoy meeting fellow cachers and I enjoy my weekend family walks and getting outside and enjoying the countryside.

It is what you make it and what you want it to be.
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

Hobby I think

like everybody else is saying, a sport is more competitive and almost relies on others to be involved. Geocaching is something you could do on your own if you so choose.