Thanks Thanks:  23

Thread: Question 4 (Committee Roles)

Default Question 4 (Committee Roles)

For candidates standing for the first time.

Some of the Committee roles are :-
    Secretary
    Treasurer
    Web Master
    GLAD
    On line Magazine
    Communication
    Fund Raising

Which role would you be prepared to undertake and what do you think you could bring to the post? There may be other areas not mentioned above which may be included if you wish.
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 17th November 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Expanded title

I would love to take on the fundraising and add merchandise to that, working with whoever gets web development, we can add a GAGB shop page , also as a northerner im not shy in asking people for money ..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post

Some of the Committee roles are :-

On line Magazine
    Communication

Which role would you be prepared to undertake and what do you think you could bring to the post? There may be other areas not mentioned above which may be included if you wish.
    I would very much enjoy being involved in the On line Magazine and communication.
    I feel I would be good in this role as I enjoy writing articles, reading of other peoples articles and putting information together in a good format.

I was the Editor our local Parish Magazine for approx. 4 years, which included redesigning some of the layout, most of which is still used today. I still have copies of the magazine from before I started, through to when I retired.

I also was asked to take over the accounts for advertisers for the magazine, so I have experience in communicating with customers.

During my membership on various committees, I have gained a lot of experience in these areas and enjoy participating in this way.

I feel it will be a way of giving something back and my contribution.

I enjoy meeting new people and engaging in building new relationships with others in the community, online and in person.

I would quite like to take on the secretary role as I spend a lot of time at home and have undertaken secretarial roles for other associations in the past but I would be happy to assist the GAGB in any other way I can although my knowledge of web development is very low!

I would be happy to do whatever is needed although my technical abilities are sadly lacking compared to the committee's current webmaster/IT expert who does a fantastic job.

For a specific role I would be happy to take on either treasurer, communication,
    fund raising, event calendar updating or membership registration processing.

I have previously dealt with money both as a Scout leader and through previous jobs. I'm good with communications, both in person and electronically/telephonically. This comes in handy when dealing with the public in my current job and also when teaching climbing. As for fund raising as a Scout leader my group relied on the money it raised to keep the group going and I was lucky enough to be part of a strongly driven team who did very well raising funds for the group.

I'm generally happy to get thrown into anything, although there are a couple of roles within there that I'm probably suited to more than others.

For fundraising, in my previous life as a Store Manager for Somerfield we worked closely with MacMillan Cancer Support. I championed fundraising on behalf of our area team and raised 16k in my store which contributed to a 50k total for our area. It had my store in the top 5 of stores in a company of 400. It was something I loved doing and brought my team together to have fun. Though clearly this isn't charity, there are loads of opportunities where fund raising can be fun. I would love to explore them.

I feel I'm a pretty good communicator. I have a decent presence across most social network sites. It's my overuse of them that probably got me in this position in the first place I don't think I'd have any difficulty in fulfilling that role.

Whilst I don't feel anywhere near qualified for putting together anything as good as "Seeker", I have written a couple of stories for Adam's magazine. I've tried my hand at blogging, reasonably successfully. I get up to some pretty interesting things in the name of caching (I'm just about warm and dry now after a walk up a Lake District mountain for an event today), I'd like to submit a few bits for Seeker.

As I said in my intro/manifesto thing, I'd like to expand the range of members benefits.

But saying that I can turn my hand to most things, EXCEPT anything technical (ie programming/webmastering), Im ok at posting on pages, but if it involves code then I'm better off being kept well away!!!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett

Seeker needs articles. They don't have to be word perfect, I can edit them. But we need a range of 'How to...' articles and short features. Can anyone explain Wherigo to me, in article form?
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

I have had and currently have several different roles on several committees. I am treasurer of our Scout Group, Webmaster of our Girl-guiding group and webmaster for this years Mega, I have been a Secretary before and I helped to fundraise for this years Mega by selling raffle tickets and organising a child friendly event this past May Day bank holiday the Mercian Spring Fayre.
    I am a techie and enjoy designing web pages so I would opt for Webmaster, but I could also attend events and help to fundraise.

Quote Originally Posted by countrymatters View Post
    Seeker needs articles. They don't have to be word perfect, I can edit them. But we need a range of 'How to...' articles and short features. Can anyone explain Wherigo to me, in article form?
    I can do Wherigo. I did a few blogs about it a while ago: One on how to play and one on how to build them. They're a bit out of date now (Although Wherigo generally is anyway! ) so I can write revised, refreshed articles for Seeker. Tell me how many pages and how many pictures you want and we can sort that out.
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by *geocass* View Post
    I can do Wherigo. I did a few blogs about it a while ago: One on how to play and one on how to build them. They're a bit out of date now so I can write revised, refreshed articles for Seeker. Tell me how many pages and how many pictures you want and we can sort that out.
    Thanks Cass. If you think it would make two articles, or even if you don't, write as much as is necessary to explain for beginner's (a) what it is, (b) how to 'retrieve' a Whereigo cache, and (c) how to create one. I'll edit as necessary.

It would probably be better in one extended article, but it's exactly the sort of thing I need for the 'How to...' series. Relevant images too.
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

I would like to be involved with events / training and help cachers get new skills and learn how to use gps / cameras and anything else that can increase the enjoyment they get from caching.

Perhaps GAGB could look to host or "sponser" some of the talks at the mega events or run our own?

Quote Originally Posted by mollyjak View Post

I think the current web master job that Cass does needs to be split in to two parts both of which should work together. The two roles should be programmer and web master.

If this was to happen it would enable the required work to be done in the website back office whilst new content can be added for the website readers to read on the current website and then move it over to the new website when it goes live.

I lack the level of programming to do the work that Cass has stated she is doing but I can easily do the day to day job of web master which should be to keep the website content up to date in so far as content.

The web master job and basic programming is what I do within my day to day job but I am used to working with a programmer for the more complicated higher level work.

If I wasn't to get this post I would be willing to work on communications and help prepare press packs to send out to the media to promote Geocaching and GAGB. I have a list of media outlets which I would be willing to use to send out these press packs.

I would also be interested in working to find new groups around the country who would be interested in working with GAGB.

Paul
    Last edited by Poole_Man; 20th November 2013 at 12:53 AM.