Thanks Thanks:  9

Thread: question for candidates (UK/Ireland geographical coverage)

Default question for candidates (UK/Ireland geographical coverage)

Where are the candidates located and do you think the GAGB members would be better served if committee members were located in as many geographical areas in the UK and Ireland as possible?

I'm from the North East (Tynemouth), the committee are spread far and wide over the UK.
    To get full coverage it may be worth having regional representatives who can attend events the committee cant get to then report back to the committee , this way we can really spread the word of what the GAGB does and is doing.

I'm from Yorkshire. I think it is important to get the right candidate rather than the candidate in the right place. It would be nice to have a good spread though.

I'm in Dorset on the south coast but I work in London and cache everywhere in between as well as in Devon and Wiltshire.

I live in NW England (Lancashire). I don't especially think it matters where the Committee members are based, it's what they can bring to the table that matters. I can't say I've noticed any benefit for GAGB just because I'm in the NW. Many local cachers know I'm on Committee and edit Seeker, but apart from supportive comments about the mag, no one has approached me on issues that were relevant specifically to GAGB, although I do discuss GAGB with any newcomers that happen to cross my path.
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

I think we are now more representative - I am from S. Wales - JackieC from Scotland.
    I wish we had a representative from Ireland but cachers have to be nominated and then volunteer their time. It would be nice to say 'One from there' One from there' but it doesn't work that way.

I live in Hertfordshire, spend a lot of time in Essex, and work in Cambridgeshire so I'm 3 counties in one! Lol!
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

I live in Dorset.

And in a normal year I spend about a quarter of the year up in Norfolk as the business I am Director of is based there.

With modern communications I don't think location is as important as it was but if elected I will ensure that I 'get around' to places other than where I normally go as much as possible.

Paul

I live in Dorset and I do think it would be good to have a representative from each area.
    This may be something that could be possible in the future as GAGB becomes more well known.
    It may be helpful for this to be discussed more throughout the year so more people can ensure they are members and eligible to stand and vote at time of elections
    "Defeat may test you; It need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another way. For every obstacle, there is a solution. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. The greatest mistake is giving up."
    Author Unknown :socool:

I'm in Hertfordshire also close to the Essex border, I also cache frequently in neighbouring counties and visit Shropshire/Birmingham at least once a year. I'm definitely attending at least the Kent Mega this year so will be able to represent the GAGB if elected.

I'm In West Lothian, Scotland, but work takes me all over Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Personally I think its equally good and bad to have the committee geographically spread across the UK.

Good because its more representative, and cachers are more likely to know (and meet) one of the committee.
    Bad because it mean all communications are electronic and the committee rarely gets the chance to meet each other.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett