Thanks Thanks:  15

Thread: Premium Membership.

Default Premium Membership.

I am fairly new to geocaching. I use a Satmap Active 10 gps device to locate caches. I was wondering is worth subscribing to premium membership of geocaching.com.

As far as I am concerned then yes it is - perhaps try it for three months and see how you get on

Absolutely

Exclamation

If you haven't already gone Premium Membership on GC, send me a PM on here or email me through my Reviewer account Deceangi.

And I will supply you with a One Month Free Trial Premium Membership of Geocaching.com*, to allow you to see if it is worth upgrading to PM.

Also make contact with Ant89, he uses a Sat Nav to Geocache with. And he's got a Power Trail out I believe you have to use some software, but can load PQ's into the unit.

*The facility to provide "One Month Free Trial Premium Membership of Geocaching.com" has been provided to Reviewers by Groundspeak. To be used at their discretion, it is only applicable, if the account has never been PM status. And is a tool used to help Members.

Dave-Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Thanks for all the imput I will contact you shortly Mancuniun.:cheers: I have people round at the moment.

Default G.C.Premium Membership

I've just become a Premium Member of gc.com. It's much better as I am now able to download gpx files containing all the info. Re. caches Prior to subscribing I was having to jot all the info down in a notebook. I still use a satmap programme called satsync to download the files but the premium membership now enables me to download gpx files rather that the loc files. Thanks again for the input:cheers:

Personally, I don't think it would be worth buying a premium membership.

<Edited post to remove information promoting web scraping of Geocaching.com>

For my statistics I use project-gc.com because it is free and automatically updates unlike most statistics sites and software.

For downloading individual and selected geocaches I use cachelist (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...nkmfbbpa?hl=en) and Firefox GPX (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefo...px-downloader/).

The only problem is you dont have notifications, full access to the API, and cannot access premium geocaches, but there are not that many of them anyway.

I would not recommend a premium membership because you can do most of these for free.
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 1st February 2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Remove information promoting web scraping

I would have to disagree with the previous post. There are a lot of PM only caches around and you often find that they are some of the best ones around where a lot of thought, effort, time and money has been put in to building them for other cachers to enjoy. They are often listed as PM only so that they don't get muggled as easily.

Not to mention does nothing to support the sustained growth of the game through financial contribution. Less than half a tank of petrol, it's the best money I spend all year.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JamesA60 View Post
    Personally, I don't think it would be worth buying a premium membership.

<Edited post to remove information promoting web scraping of Geocaching.com>

For my statistics I use project-gc.com because it is free and automatically updates unlike most statistics sites and software.

For downloading individual and selected geocaches I use cachelist (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...nkmfbbpa?hl=en) and Firefox GPX (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefo...px-downloader/).

The only problem is you dont have notifications, full access to the API, and cannot access premium geocaches, but there are not that many of them anyway.

I would not recommend a premium membership because you can do most of these for free.
    So your Publicly admitting to Breaking Groundspeak's TOU, which you agreed to on becoming a Member of Geocaching.com. By scrapping the site

Restrictions. Permission to use our services is subject to the following restrictions. Whether these restrictions have been violated shall be determined in our sole discretion. You agree not to:
    1. Use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access our services for any purpose without our express written permission.
    So your post encourages others to also break Groundspeak's TOU

And even though the GAGB is Listing Site Neutral, allowing Members to admit to and encourage others to break the TOU of any Listing Site, is not something that they should allow to be posted.

Criticism of a Listing Site is completely different to allowing others to encourage the breaking of a Listing Sites TOU, which each Member of that Site has agreed to. Before anyone starts down the shouts of censorship.

Deci
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 1st February 2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Removed information in quoted post - following editing of original post
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

I too use a Satmap Active10, and have just learned that they now have an Active 12. I'll try to get one and review it in Seeker.
    Isn't it amazing what you don't see, when you don't know what you're looking for?
    The past is history; the future is a story yet to be told; write it well.

Must agree with Mancunian on this, allowing post which encourages site scrapping is not the best idea.
    I am more than happy to pay my PM subscription despite the fact that I only cache now and then as I feel that it is my donation to supporting GC for basic members.

After reading Deci's post and having a discussion with (some of) the committee I have edited two posts in this thread (JamesA60 & Manucian's which included JamesA60's quoted post) - to remove the reference promoting web scraping of Geocaching.com.

_______

In response to the opening post - I would be lost without my Premium Membership and have been a PM since I first started caching 9 years ago.

The feature I probably use most is the the excellent Pocket Query facility. This allows you to easily create searches and transfer caches to GPS receivers and smart phones but in addition the Premium Members are supporting the development and running of Geocaching.com

So to me - yes definitely worth the money.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Smile Some features of Premium Membership

many thanks for the edit Maple Leaf - I agree with your comments

It is very important that we stick to the terms of use of Groundspeak.

For the opening post, here is a link to Geocaching.com showing the features of a Premium membership.

It's worth familiarising yourself with the features, as some members are not aware of them all.

Being able to create a route and do a search of what type of caches and how far off your route you would like to go is a great feature.

There are lots of forums to get help and support in how to use the features on here and the Groundspeak forums, so feel free to ask.

Premium Member Featureshttps://www.geocaching.com/premium/

I think being a premium member is great. The access to PQs is worth the subscription alone.
    My only gripe is with the discrepancy between the lower cost to USA members and the extra European users are charged. It was cheaper and fairer when you could buy your subscription in US dollars, even with the exchange charges levied by Visa.

I would just be a Basic member for a while, and after a few months if you feel like you want more from the game, upgrade.