Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Simply Paul's June 2014 'Eighth Most Remote Event' - Beyond the UK again...

Exclamation Simply Paul's June 2014 'Eighth Most Remote Event' - Beyond the UK again...

Inspired by the question "Where Next?" after holding a cache event on Scafell Pike back in 2006, since '07 I've been hosting events at far-flung and off-the-tourist-trail locations at a variety of spots around Britain. So far I've visited St Kilda in 2007 (way out west), St Agnes IOS in 2008 (way down south, UK), Unst in the Shetlands in 2009 (way up north), a tidal island off the south coast of Jersey in 2010 (way down south, Britain), Eigg in the Small Isles for 2011 (way away from the madding crowds) and Bryher IOS in 2012 (way out west, England). Last year was my first 'failure', when my trip to the InPinn on Skye went awry.

Perhaps asking people to climb a famously difficult mountain was too much, so for June 2014 I'm setting the Difficulty and Terrain levels a fair bit lower, and returning to the Channel Isles for the eighth of these meets. I've a cool spot on Jersey in mind and more info will follow once I've talked a reviewer into approving it, but keep Sunday June 15th 2014 free in your caching diary for now...

I'm also hoping to arrange meets on the other islands in the weeks either side of this, and will post links here as soon as I'm able. Hope to see you in the sunniest corner of the British Isles this summer!

Update!

Currently up for review (links should become live before too long), my 8th Most Remote event and associated meets on the other Channel Islands this June:

Sunday 8th - GC4VEX1 Guernsey Gathering II (title TBC)
    Monday 9th - GC4VER3 Herm from Herm (Channel Islands)
    Tuesday 10th - GC4VEV2 Alderney Away Day (Channel Islands)
    Thursday 12th -GC4VEPV Sark Attack! (Channel Islands)
    Sunday 15th - GC4HG14 Britain's Eighth Most Remote Event Cache (Jersey)

I hope to take part in the Itex Round Guernsey Walk (38.5 miles/62Km) on the 7th as well. Should be fun

Just wondered if these were happening! Can we do these and the Mega at Ayr???
    Seems they were published early March so I guess this is a bit of a bump...

Hello Paul

Hi Henry! Nice to hear from you again. Part of the idea of holding my events in June is to give a lot of 'clearance' from any Megas, which are usually in late July or early August... I hope you're able to do both as the Channel Islands are beautiful and well worth a caching trip

I can now add GC5398E - WWFM XI - Guernsey Bubbles World Wide Flash Mob on June 7th to the above list. I'll have walked 38 miles to get there. True fact! Hope to see some forum users 'out on the isles' in the sun :cheers:

A one-month-to-go bump for these meets.
    I've also now secured caching guardians for new caches (of a type not already on each island, is the plan) for Alderney, Sark and Herm. These will join my Guernsey and Jersey-ish caches to form a series. Not unlike my Small Isles or (slowly growing) [url"https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3BCNE_scilly-billy-tresco-ios"]Scilly series[/url]. Even if you can't make the events, if you get the the CIs I hope you'll enjoy their legacy.
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 18th May 2014 at 03:48 PM.

Last minute addition!
    On Saturday June 15th I'm heading over to Les Ecrehous for Way Out, East (Les Ecrehous, CI) and hope to place a physical cache on the island too, if I'm able. Join me?