Thanks Thanks:  7

Thread: Geolitter/archived cache

Default Geolitter/archived cache

I have recently moved house, and took a walk to clear up a few caches locally to my new place and also to release a TB.

I walked with Mrs Smudger and said to her that "there's a cache over here, might be a good place to launch the TB as it is a small clip-top box".

I went over, retrieved the cache, and found the lid damaged and the cache containing 1/2" of water and the log book almost unuseable. I decided to replace the cache under its brick, look up the cache when I got home and advise the CO that maintenance was required.

I did indeed look for the cache when I got home, but there is no sign of it on GC.com.

It was (is) placed near Attenborough Nature Reserve in Nottinghamshire. The closest cache listed to this is GC30XWQ. The 'missing' cache was called 'Power to the People'.

I would like peoples' opinions as to what I should do with this cache (if anything). Should I remove it, can I adopt it, or should I replace it and publish it as a new cache?

Thanks, Smudger.

This sounds like the cache you are referring to GC2YMZQ and it was archived in July 2013.

As it is archived it can't be reactived or adopted however I would recommend that you contact the cache owner to say you found the old box (it sounds like they couldn't find it either).

Assuming it isn't on any other listing sites, then the 'geo-litter' does need to be removed - that is something that you can offer to do for the cache owner if you want.

If you think it is an ideal location for a cache, there is no reason why you couldn't create a new listing at the same coords.
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 9th March 2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling!
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

I contacted the CO today and he said that the cache had disappeared after the grass was cut. He has no problem with me publishing a new cache at the same location.

Thanks Maple Leaf for your advice :socool:

A good result

Quote Originally Posted by smudger105e View Post
    I contacted the CO today and he said that the cache had disappeared after the grass was cut. He has no problem with me publishing a new cache at the same location.

Thanks Maple Leaf for your advice :socool:
    Be aware.
    What happened to the original cache, could happen to your cache!

That's why it's a good idea to see why caches were Archived, before you just replace one in the same place.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Cache replaced with one of my own, if it goes missing then I will relocate a little more imaginatively. Thanks for all of you for your input and advice :cheers: