Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Ultra 'Extreme' Caching - Possible July 2014 Expedition

Exclamation Ultra 'Extreme' Caching - Possible July 2014 Expedition

You may know I've a reputation for organising cache events 'off the beaten track' and while I'm still planning on returning to the Channel Isles in June to try to clear the islands, I've discovered something else others may wish to join me in at the height of next summer...

The thing I discovered is how cheap flights to Tromso - 350Km north of the arctic circle - in Norway from Gatwick and back are. Add a few days car hire and the following caches are well within range:

Mainland Europe's most northerly: GC4E279 Norges nordligste - Knivskjellodden - plus lots of others in the area/on the way/in Norway generally.

A easy drive-by in Finland: GC4HVT9 565.6 m.

A nip across the border into Sweden to find GC29BXC Muotkatakka. I will have Plan B back-up caches in mind for any DNFs, to ensure I/we find at least one cache per country.

And then, a bit of a drive (plus paperwork, I suspect. I'll do full research before buying any tickets) to get A LOT of red on my caching map by visiting Russia: GC3T88N Murmansk welcome.

Early July would boast 24-hour daylight (so no Northern Lights, sorry) and reliable weather. Warm(ish) and roads not 6m deep with snow and ice. I'm planning a 5-6 day trip, with possible (rough?) camping to reduce costs, a night or two in Tromso and a visit to Murmansk, home of the Russian Northern Fleet. A mix of caching and remote, adventurous sightseeing - abandoned military sites and the like. Apart from unavoidable flight costs, car hire and fuel will be the other main expenses, which is why I'm opening this idea up to other cachers. The bonus of Mainland Europe's Most Northerly Event (TBC. I need to do my research on this) would also be included. Why only Mainland Europe's most northerly? I can't compete with GC2Z130 How far will you go for a cache? - Svalbard islands are £600ish to reach and that's not in my budget for a handful of caches. Perhaps one day though

If you could be interested on sharing in the adventure (costings are available, but I don't want this post to look commercial), please let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 9th October 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Default adventure caching

Paul,

I love the idea and would love to get involved in the future but we already have a two week caching trip organised to canada, the wife calls it a honeymoon (tomato, tomato right), but I will keep my eyes peeled for any future expeditions.

Update on this!

I've booked the following with a company with rhymes with 'Borwegian Pair' for less than £100 return, including taking a bag in the hold (£6 each way)-

Outbound: LGW - TOS 4. Jul 2014 16:05 Flight DY2470 - Each way takes 3h30min
    Return: TOS - LGW 11. Jul 2014 21:05 Flight DY2471 - Norway is an hour ahead of us

The plan is to spend a night* in Tromso and pick up the hire car the following morning. After the multi-country, extreme-location caching trip, it'll be returned on the 10th (6 days hire), giving another night* and pretty much a full day in Tromso before catching a flight back that evening. My brother is coming too, so I'm looking for 2-3 others to share a car (splitting hire and fuel costs!) or if more are interested, I'll look at a minibus. Please let me know if you're interested. In the meantime, I'll keep planning for Mainland Europe's most Northerly Event

*Not much of a night when the sun doesn't set, but you know what I mean.

What sort of accommodation are you planning? Are you thinking of camping as it's free in most of Norway (or very cheep on campsites)?

:socool:

I could be very interested in this as long I can get a cache every day we are there.

Mostly camping, yep. Maybe a B&B mid-way through if I/we get too smelly.
    And yep, at least a cache per day - there's no huge areas without any along the way.
    Edit to add: Minibuses are a crazy price. If there are too many more people for a single car, I suggest a second one is hired as this will work out much cheaper.
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 10th January 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Will there be any need for apply for Visas prior to the trip ?

Good question.
    Nope. So long as you have a UK passport, there's no problem with EC countries - Sweden and Finland - and Norway just like to know your passport number and expiry date a minimum of 72 hours prior to travel. Only Russia has big hoops to jump through and due to the cost, it's been dropped from my plans... for now. One thing to remember is Norway don't use the Euro, so some thought will need to be given to currency there. I have a Nationwide credit card which works everywhere without charges, so I'll be using that mostly, with a little cash for odds and sods.
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 12th January 2014 at 01:01 PM.

I'm very pleased to announce Mainland Europe Ends... HERE! has been approved. Possibly the world's second most northerly event, I hope it'll bring some 'locals' to this end of Norway who might not otherwise have had a good reason to travel all that way. Please log a Will Attend if you think you will

I'm definitely going now Paul
    Last edited by N0hope; 16th January 2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling error

:socool:

:cheers:

Final call on this. There's one (two if you're both slim!) seats left in the car. The event is open to all and everyone of course, but you'll have to find your own way there if you're not part of the N0Hope/Simply Paul/Paul's brother group