Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cache Boxes

Kelgrath Guest

Most of the caches I've visited so far (well, the ones that I've found&#33 have been in "tupperware type" containers. They all seem to be the same - they've got these nifty little clips holding down all four edges of the lid making a nice seal.

I'm now thinking of creating (placing? planting?) my own cache(s) and I have to ask: Where can I buy these containers?

TaureanTrackers Guest

Originally posted by Kelgrath@Jan 9 2004, 11:30 PM
    Most of the caches I've visited so far (well, the ones that I've found&#33 have been in "tupperware type" containers. They all seem to be the same - they've got these nifty little clips holding down all four edges of the lid making a nice seal.

I'm now thinking of creating (placing? planting?) my own cache(s) and I have to ask: Where can I buy these containers?
    I haven't seen the exact type you've specified but Lakeland Plastics (on-line www.lakelandlimited.co.uk) hold a really good line in such things. Most decent quality tubs will be watertight but for a perfect seal (other than those you've described) go for round ones; they create the best seal of all.

Also, the most recent cache I've found, Postie had not only put it all in a good tub (good seal but no clips) but had put everything within the tub in resealable poly bags! How's that for making sure!

And no, I don't get commission from Lakeland!

Sarah Tate Guest

I believe that B&Q & possibly Woolies do that type of container. We are looking at getting some for ourselves so that's where we're heading!

Sarah x

paul.blitz Guest

Don't forget that those of you coming along to the Winchester bash will have an opportunity to buy ammo boxes from Omally.

And it seems that you may have a choice of 2 sizes... the "Hornet" medium size (5.5" x 7" x 11") or the smaller (2.5" x 6" x 10") size, for the same price.

Personally, whilst the "medium" ones are indeed nice & big, they are often a LOT harder to hide.... the smaller ones are often SOOOO much easier to hide.

Paul

Team Paradise Guest

Originally posted by Kelgrath@Jan 9 2004, 11:30 PM
    They all seem to be the same - they've got these nifty little clips holding down all four edges of the lid making a nice seal.

Where can I buy these containers?
    Robert Dyas sell them, but I believe they only have shops in the south...

Steve

NattyBooshka Guest

Originally posted by Team Paradise@Jan 11 2004, 01:02 AM
    Robert Dyas sell them, but I believe they only have shops in the south...
    there's at least one in Lancashire I know of... or at least there used to be! Just looked on their website and nothing is listed.

You can buy old ammo cans from just about any Army Surplus store. I've also bought them from stalls at traction engine rallies and even seen them at car boot sales and in back gardens in Watford . They vary in price and condition but £2.50 - £5.00 a piece seems to be about the norm. There is a very good Army Surplus store tucked behind all the garden centers in Crews Hill, Enfield (Aprox N51 41.067 W000 06.229). That's where I get all my camo stuff from. (I recommend them but have no conection other than being a satisfied customer )
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Daisy&me Guest

You can get ammo boxes mail order from here.

s&g.davison Guest

These ones ??? They are called Lock and Lock and we use them for all our caches

Topic on Geocache forum

We got some from local Kitchen Shops in teh South, Also House of Fraser have them - but I just found them on lakeland plastics web page

this link should take you to them

Lakeland plastic Link

GeocacheJoe Guest

What is the best cache box to use? As much as I like the lunch box stuff, I can't help but feel that plastic looks too much like litter when placed in the outdoors and that the ammo box looks less like rubbish.

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by GeocacheJoe@Jan 14 2004, 12:29 PM
    What is the best cache box to use? As much as I like the lunch box stuff, I can't help but feel that plastic looks too much like litter when placed in the outdoors and that the ammo box looks less like rubbish.
    You pays your money & you takes your choice. Tupperware is cheap & easily concelable but I prefer ammo boxes which allow you plenty of space for books,videos, jewelry & goldbars plus being much more weatherproof than tupperware IMHO.

GeocacheJoe Guest

Originally posted by Chris n Maria@Jan 14 2004, 01:20 PM
    jewelry & goldbars ...
    Gotta visit one of your caches!

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Chris n Maria@Jan 14 2004, 01:20 PM
    .... but I prefer ammo boxes which allow you plenty of space for books,videos, jewelry & goldbars ....
    You missed the singlemost good reason for using an ammo box.... forget the gold bars.... you need space, and guaranteed dryness for the T&J bear!!!!

Motley Crew Guest

I got some JML 'Lock & Seal' containers from Homebase. They have 4 'locks' on the lid and a silicone/rubber seal. If I remember correctly for £10 I got a set comprising of 1 large, 2 medium & 2 small containers.

gralorn Guest

Wilkinsons, have the plastic lock boxes, all sizes as well.

Teso Super Stores have assorted sizes of the clip on lid type containers .
    We like Greens

Ellis Islanders Guest

Peter63 Guest

I use the tupperware type of boxes with the clips to hold on the lid. These are very waterproof. I don't use ammo-boxes as in this day and age there could be a problem if found by non-cachers. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a bomb scare. It is important to paint out the markings.