Thanks Thanks:  4

Thread: Glass

Default Glass

Hi I'm new to this forum, so thought I would start off with a question.
    My partner came home with some handy glass jars the other day in hope that I could use them as cache hides.
    My question is, is there anything that states that glass can't be used when Geocaching?

Thanks

no,I don't think there's an actual rule, but I remember reading that some reviews wouldn't publish glass jar caches if they were aware, in part due to the fragility of glass and its danger when broken both to people and as a fire hazard when acting as a lens

Thanks frosty68

I agree with frosty68.

I went to an event yesterday on making Geocaches, and they had small jam jars there. I know they are smaller then my glass ones, but an idea which is seen to be ok with glass my the heads of Geocaching maybe :-)

Have a look a this page in the UK Geocaching Wiki - the entry on 'Unsuitable containers'. We will publish caches in glass jars but may give you a warning about their suitability.
    https://wiki.groundspeak.com/display...t+be+published

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UK Geocaching Wiki
    Geocaching.com Help Center
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

I have an old face cream jar that is glass, but is really thick - I've dropped it on the tiled bathroom floor on more than one occasion and it has survived, would this be classed as unsuitable also?

I've seen plenty of glass jars that have lasted many years. But I'd only recommend one if it's thickly wrapped in duct tape or similar, otherwise it is likely to be a hazard.